Nightcrawler | Teen Ink

Nightcrawler

By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia

"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

Jake Gyllenhaal was born into an indescribable character in his latest movie, Nightcrawler, directed by Dan Gilroy.  A character so complex each scene brought a new side of his intriguing persona.  Gyllenhaal plays Lou Bloom, an autodidact so desperate for work he is introduced as a thief.  His immorality builds a character that respects no boundaries.  After watching a free-lance news videographer in action late on a Los Angeles night, he devotes himself to the task of bringing more jarring, uncensored footage.  He begins to outshine the other local news coverages, each video gets closer to the victims involving more gore and heart-wrenching drama as he learns “if it bleeds, it leads.”  The action-thriller draws you in as he grows in confidence and outright indecency.  He pushes past the yellow tape.  Working with a thrift shop police scanner and camcorder, Lou brings his controversial footage to a local TV news director drowning in her competitor’s success.  With a complete lack of conscience, Bloom, a quick leaner, uses leverage to destroy anything and anyone in his way to forming a successful enterprise.  He would do whatever it takes for the next perfect shot.  Will he go too far?

The movie was great and perfect for people who would really enjoy a well-made movie.