Silver Linings Playbook | Teen Ink

Silver Linings Playbook

November 10, 2014
By Dakota_Mayo PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming
Dakota_Mayo PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming
38 articles 28 photos 3 comments

In my opinion, the movie “Silver Linings Playbook” was a great movie because it’s a realistic movie. This movie portrays the struggles of a relationship not only the relationship between Pat and Tiffany, but also the relationship between Pat and his father and Pat and his fiancé. It is a funny but crazy movie about the ups and downs of three very different relationships. The performance is absolutely fascinating when it comes to comedy and romance. The realistic and performance parts of the movie are what made it as wonderful as it is. The characters were also another main aspect of the movie that made it great.

When it comes to the characters in the movie, each actor and actress did a phenomenal job portraying the role of the character that was assigned to them. “Russell gets superbly naturalistic performances from the cast. Cooper, best known for raunchy comedies, proves he’s got real acting chops and Lawrence continues to demonstrate she’s a major talent. Doing his best work in years, De Niro gives an empathetic performance” (McCarthy 2). Robert De Niro who played Pat Sr., the role of the father in the movie, has a love for the Philadelphia Eagles NFL football team. Watching football with the family was tradition to him. His son, however, didn’t participate along with the family tradition causing his father to engage in frequent arguments with him. Bradley Cooper takes the role of Pat, the son of Pat Sr. He was diagnosed as bipolar after his wife was found in the shower with a school teacher. Of course there’s also Jennifer Lawrence who takes on the role of Tiffany. “A young widow in the neighborhood who reacted to her husband’s sudden death by acting out sexually. The two have much in common, most noticeably a lack of verbal inhibition that makes social interaction difficult” (McCarthy 2). Some would label Tiffany as Crazy. In the movie, she is known for having quite the temper.

When looking for performance in the movie, you are sure to find some. One of the most important characteristics in a movie is the overall performance. In Silver Linings Playbook, there are a lot of examples of performance that can be found. “The great strength of Russell’s writing and direction resides in the way he consistently manages to retain a comic tone without losing touch with the characters’ pains and anxieties” (French 2). The actors and the actresses are what made the performance as great as it was along with the direction. The overall performance is what makes the movie so interesting to watch. It’s what keeps the viewers from turning off the DVD player or from switching the channel. In the performance of this movie you will find arguments between Pat and his parents and arguments between Pat and Tiffany. Also you will find romance between Pat and Tiffany and what Pat thinks that there is between him and his fiancé Nikki. And of course throughout the movie you will find a lot of comedy. “Nothing about this crazy-boy-meets-wacky-girl romance is what a moviegoer is cued to expect” (Schwarzbaum 2). In the performance, a lot of the credit should be given to Russell since he is the director of the movie. He is the one who even made the performance of the movie possible. A lot of emotion between Pat and his parents, emotion between Pat and Tiffany, and surprising emotion between Pat and Nikki is another great aspect to this movie. Without the great emotion that it has, the overall performance wouldn’t all be there.

The realistic side of the movie is another great aspect to the movie. With the realistic scenes in the movie, viewers are able to connect with the characters and what is going on in the movie. If you question yourself as to how do I relate to this movie, the answer could be simple. “Family nuttiness, football madness, romantic obsession, and certifiable mental illness coexist happily in Silver Linings Playbook- a crazy beaut of a comedy that brims with generosity and manages to circumvent predictability at every turn” (Schwarzbaum 2). You might have a connection to the overall theme of the movie. “The message about silver linings—about our ability to overcome unfortunate circumstances” (McCarthy 2).

My opinion of Silver Linings Playbook was that it was a great movie overall. With the performance, characters, and realistic scenes in the movie, I don’t believe this movie would be a spectacular as it is. The performance, characters, and realistic scenes is what makes the viewers from switching channels or from turning off the DVD player. Viewers may even have to think to themselves, “Wait, did I really just see that?” The relationships between the characters are great examples of the realistic scenes that can be found in the movie. Followed by the comedy and overall performance.