A League of Their Own | Teen Ink

A League of Their Own

By nmartinez17 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
nmartinez17 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

In the 1940’s when all the men were in Europe and Asia due to World War II, the first professional All-American girls baseball team was made. Each girl was recruited by a scout and brought to Chicago. Actor, Jon Lovitz plays the scout that finds the amazing Dottie Henson (Geena Davis). He finds Dottie playing with her team that runs the dairy, he recruits Dottie, but she notifies him that she just plays for fun. However, her sister Kit is in love with the sport and wants the scout to take her to Chicago instead. The scout breaks it to Kit that he only wants Dottie, but if Dottie accepts the offer, Kit may come, as well. Dottie says she’ll think about it, but it was a polite way of declining. Kit talks some sense into Dottie and they end up on the next train to Chicago, where over 200 girls try out in the famous wrigley field, and are either cut or put on a team. Dottie and Kit are put on the same team, and that’s where it starts.

A League of Their Own was directed by Penny Marshall, and focuses on the Rockford Peaches, an All-American Girls Professional Baseball League. Main characters include: Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Lori Petty, Madonna and Rosie O’Donnell. The filming took place in Chicago, Illinois. A League of Their Own was released on July 1, 1992.
In the movie, Geena Davis’ all-girls baseball team is doing great until they find out they might shut down, because the men are coming back from war. They either have to excite things up and get more people to support the team, or they may have to end the whole organization there.

Over all, A League of Their Own is a very empowering movie and one of my favorites. It shows that women have power, that we too can do things just like men. The characters make us fall in love, and at the end of the movie you’re rooting for the team as you, yourself are in the crowd of the game. This movie is rated PG, great sports/comedic entertainment for the whole family.