Dead Man Walking | Teen Ink

Dead Man Walking

By B_money BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois
B_money BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois

"Your value doesn't decrease on someones ability to see your worth"

Netflix, the library of movies online, or on any game system, has many fantastic movies that are worth seeing.  In 1995 the adaptation of Sister Helen Prejean’s non-fiction book Dead Man Walking hit the big screen. The horrifying and true story of a young man on death row for the death and rape of two young teenagers; who would go to “, lovers lane”. Sister Helen Prejean a young nun appointed to a young Matthew Poncelet to be his spiritual advisor as he goes through his process of waiting to be executed. This story gives a real life adaptation of the book written by Sister Helen Prejean which tells her personal encounter of being a spiritual advisor to Elmo Patrick Sonnier,and Robert Lee Willie, two men executed in 1984.

Dead Man Walking is the Academy Award Nominated film nominated for four awards in 1996, including best actress in a leading role, best actor in a leading role, best director, and best music,original song. The film took home one award; best actress in a leading role, at the 1996 Academy Awards. The director, Tim Robbins, shows true accuracy to the non fiction book written by Sister Helen Prejean. The characters were brought to life, and Sean Penn’s portrayal as the psycho killer Matthew Poncelet will scare you. Susan Sarandon’s depiction of Sister Helen Prejean; the nun who is not only appointed as Poncelet's spiritual advisor, but is put in a rough situation. While trying to show empathy for not only Poncelet and his family, but the victim’s of the two young teenagers family as well. Sarandon plays a fantastic portrayal of Sister Helen Prejean the real like advisor  who tries to make Poncelet forgive and admit to the crime he committed. The oscar is well deserved by Sarandon.

As Matthew Poncelet is living his last couple of weeks in Louisiana State Penitentiary for rape and the murder of two teenagers on death row, he writes to a young nun, Sister Helen Prejean, who agrees to meet with the murderer to be his spiritual advisor in the last couple of weeks before his execution. Sister Helen Prejean struggles to make an affect on Poncelet, who is not only a sexist and racist human being, but who will not confess and come to the realization of his actions. As the weeks go by, the tension between not only the victim’s family and Poncelet rise, but the tension between Prejean and the victims family; also arise causing conflict and misunderstanding of her actions.

In this movie, Poncelet changes, and everyone who is somehow affected by this murder is changed during the course of the film. The fantastic acting of every cast member shows even by the body language their emotions and tension that happened over the course of this emotional film. Pronclet is a very scary character that evolves throughout the film and is one of the most memorable and terrifying realistic qualities of a real life serial killer.
The movie was one of the most terrifying and depressing, but fantastic, movies, not only of the 90’s, but of this generation. The acting is all around some of the best acting and really triumphs many other “great” performances. This is hands down one of the best performances of Sean Penn and you can really see his evolution of an actor from this film to some of his other successful films such as: I Am Sam, Milk, and Gangster Squad and many other films. It makes sense to have many nominations including the acting because the acting really captured and drew in the audience’s attention and made a strong impact. This fantastic film will scare you, make you cringe, and even make you cry no matter who you are and even if you don’t normally cry at films. This is one film you do not want to die without ever seeing.