Guardians of the Galaxy | Teen Ink

Guardians of the Galaxy

October 2, 2014
By Michael Seuylemezian BRONZE, La Canada, California
Michael Seuylemezian BRONZE, La Canada, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Guardians of the Galaxy, directed by James Gunn, is an action packed comedy about a group of criminal misfits who combine forces to save the galaxy from evil. The main character Peter Quill, played by Chris Pratt, is a human who was abducted from Earth as a young child. He grew up in space with a group of bandits. The story truly begins when Quill steals a powerful stone, one of six “infinity stones” in this universe. Quill is arrested along with Groot (Vin Diesel), Rocket (Bradley Cooper), Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista), and Gamora (Zoe Saldana) who become entangled in Quill’s business with the stone and form the group later known as the Guardians of the Galaxy. Initially a cordial agreement to share the profit of selling the stone, the group eventually realizes they have the power to save the universe and they work together to do so. This film was released August 1, 2014 and had a budget of about $170,000,000. I saw this movie because it was produced by Marvel Comics and I am a big fan of their movies. I had extremely low expectations but I was very pleasantly surprised.

After seeing the previews I was not excited for Marvel Comic’s latest movie production. I am a huge fan of the Avengers and their individual films and I could not foresee Marvel making a better movie. I had heard Guardians of the Galaxy would be a “funny version of the avengers” from my friends and social media. As always, Marvel did not disappoint. I have since seen Guardians of the Galaxy twice in theaters and it is currently my favorite Marvel movie.

The best part of the film in my opinion is the comedy. The humor and jokes are so magnificently presented that there is something for every kind of person to laugh at. Even after a second viewing I laughed the entire way through. The humor is difficult to describe in words but the movie beautifully embraced the corny and awkward scenes and made them absolutely hysterical. Although other Marvel films had small moments of humor, they focused primarily on the action and intensity of the plot. Guardians of the Galaxy used comedy as a relief for audience members to mask urgency and stress in the plot.

The acting and script of this film is fantastic. The opening credits is just Chris Pratt dancing to the classic song “Come and Get Your Love” by Redbone. Although Quill is the main character, the acting is so great that each individual in the movie develops their own character so much that they all carry such a huge role throughout the film. The script too is littered with endless humor. My favorite part of the script is Groot’s lines. Groot is basically a walking and talking tree but he only has one line that he repeats over and over through the whole 121 minutes of movie time. “I am Groot.” This line is spoken in so many different tones and says so much in such a limiting amount of words. Besides acting and script, the album for this movie is so spectacular I purchased it the moment I got home from the theaters. It consists of classic songs such as “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5. The best part about the album is the characters interact with the music so often that it is truly an essential part of the movie.


There are only slight criticisms I possess for this great film. As a Marvel fan I truly appreciated every aspect of the movie but even afterwards I had to do some research online to fully understand each part of the movie. To make the movie better for all, it would be best if there was further explanation of certain things like the infinity stones because for people who haven’t seen the other Marvel movies it can be confusing. Some of the coolest parts of the movie I felt the average movie goer would not catch from one viewing of the movie.


Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy is a fantastic film. I can safely say this is one of my favorite movies ever and I will be buying it as soon as it is released on DVD. Any human being will enjoy this movie and laugh until their stomach hurts. I highly recommend it to everybody; it is great for all ages. If you enjoy this movie or any other Marvel Comic movie I suggest going online and reading further about how all the movies connect and specific details from the movie that can be missed. After doing so, I have a much greater appreciation for all of Marvel’s movies. Guardians of the Galaxy was out of this world.