6 Souls | Teen Ink

6 Souls

September 22, 2014
By TNDOPR SILVER, Guaynabo, Other
TNDOPR SILVER, Guaynabo, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Close your eyes and imagine the best version of you possible. That's who you really are, let go of any part of you that doesn't believe it."


  Måns Mårlind and Björn Stein 1999 film 6 Souls tells about a psychiatrist called Dr. Cara Harding, performed by Julianne Moore, who would not be open-minded or allow herself to enter into a state of non-sense and foolishness to find the truth, even if she doesn’t understand it. Her value system doesn’t allow her to accept an assumption out of her understanding. Cara Harding’s husband was murdered on the night of Christmas Eve when they were walking home from church, and ever since then has doubted her faith in God but her belief in science has remained strong. As a way of trying to accept unexplainable events or theories, her father introduces Adam. Adam is a patient with multiple personalities (souls) who also acquires some of their physical characteristics. She later discovers that those personalities are the ones of murder victims and the closer she learns about his past the more her loved one’s risk of being murder victims as well increases. She is portrayed as the Byronic heroine in the film because she was driven by her desire or intention to prove that a multi-personality disorder did not exist and that the person accused of that disorder was fully aware of his/her actions and not by their made-up personality. She always rejects the possibility of something else controlling Adam, performed by Jonathan Rhys Meyers, of his different personalities or souls. After the death of her daughter, Cara kills Adam hoping to end all the horror that has been caused and not be exposed to his personalities ever again. But to her surprise, when she thought it was all over her daughter comes back to life but now containing all the souls of the past murder victims that Adam carried. She would now have to spend the rest of her life taking care of a daughter that carries the souls of these murder victims. The use of the supernatural, threatening spaces, and entrapment all serve as Gothic elements presented in the film that help in the decay of the hero because they all contribute to her realization of the truth when her daughter rises from the dead. We humans are so attracted to the darker side of us but are also scared to experience it because of change. The biggest fear humans have is change. We are afraid of change in our way of life and in our beliefs. We don’t want to accept the idea that our way of thinking could be totally wrong from what is reality. So as a result we are always curious to be aware of our darker side and experience it, but in the meantime are also content of how we think and reason.