I, Frankenstein | Teen Ink

I, Frankenstein

August 6, 2014
By sethitus BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
sethitus BRONZE, Ocala, Florida
2 articles 6 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Black Metal is Krieg


I consider myself to be quite the "horror aficionado" and to me, a movie such as this one was nothing but a slap in the face from some lazy lowlife who couldn't think about the real errors in this stories plot. I mean there were a LOT of structural, background, & character errors in this movie, that would leave any average minded person (at the very least) feeling sick to the stomach, and any horror fans, completely mortified and disgusted as if they had been hit by some radio active sludge that only effects your mind if you watch this complete abomination to the Frankenstein name.

For starters, this movie was an action/adventure, not horror, which already puts this movie off to a bad start. Frankenstein's monster, in his simplest form, was supposed to be a symbol of the horrifying abomination to the human race we'd be forced to face if we let the minds of science go wild. NOT some thrill seeking adrenaline-junkie man who was just torn up and sewn back together as if it made a difference, whose image was solely there to try and look like a badass hero who would later steal the girl (which, surprise surprise, HE DOES!) hence the "HORROR" title it was supposed to be given. If you are going to write a story based off of this character, at least try to make it scary, instead of appealing to the modern audiences.

The movie starts with Frankenstein's monster narrating all (as closely as they could get without giving away their laziness of course) of the events that would eventually lead him to being 200 and something years in the future. Of course, none of this relates to the original Frankenstein, so it is still technically original right? Not at all. This movie is based around the original notebook of Frankenstein's design process, which the "big ,bad ,and evil demon's henchmen doctors" want to use to create an army of their own Frankenstein monsters to be possessed by demons later in the movie, and though the demons have nothing to do with the original story (which is really insulting that the writers of this script would use them) the centering of the monster and the journal in the story is, some-what, which is the only prop I can honestly give to this set (other than how good they did on the sets and book design, can't lie about that!)

Back to the ""Big ,bad ,and evil demon's henchmen doctors" want to create an army of their own Frankenstein monsters to be possessed by demons later in the movie" thing; IT MAKES NO SENSE!!! Also, it's about as original as any kids cartoon villains' evil plot to destroy the world, and like a kids show, the hero (which for some reason is the monster) ultimately overpowers the head demon by - get this- HAVING A SOUL ALL ALONG!!! WOW I did NOT see that coming, after all of this unoriginal garbage, this was a very refreshing, eye-opening moment in the movies plot line. But unfortunately, our hero, along with his loving companion, fall to their doom as the ultimate sacrifice to save the world, IF ONLY they were to some how get lifted out by a gargoyle and escorted to a safe location...wait... THEY WERE!!! YAYYYY, a happy ending after all, and I thought he was just going to die like the hundreds of others just like him, so inspirational!

The last major flaw of this movie- The script writer probably had little to no prior knowledge of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein story when writing the plot to this movie. I know, this is a pretty bold claim to go off of, but it's pretty self evident from what the writer has shown in the story. The monster had several names, one of which was Frankenstein (THE NAME OF HIS FATHER!) mentioned throughout the movie, many of which had nothing to do with the story in the past. Much of the beginning of this movie seemed like it was wandering around, eventually leading to a comedic farce of a movie, which was confusing and quite honestly a waste of anyones time to see.

In short, "I, Frankenstein" was one of the worst frankenstein movies EVER made, and the worst movie I have seen in the past year. If you are a fan of old and classic horrors, or just a plain fan of originality and easy to follow plots, then I urge you NOT to see this movie. It might just be hazardous to your health... (jokingly of course)


Yours Truly ,


Sethitus The Impaler


The author's comments:
This is a first draft, I plan on revamping it later, for now just leave me with your thoughts ;)