Spellbound | Teen Ink

Spellbound MAG

By AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California
AliciaMarzolf DIAMOND, Cupertino, California

You want to be sure your bladder is empty before sitting down to watch “Spellbound,” because this nail-biting documentary doesn’t contain any dull moments to allow you to escape to the restroom. Directed by Jeffery Blitz, “Spellbound” is a documentary about the 1999 Scripps-Howard National Spelling Bee.

“Spellbound” begins by introducing eight contestants. From wealthy Emily to hardworking Neil, from Ted the farm boy to Angela with her Spanish-speaking father, each is unique. They all share one goal – to win. However, out of 249 contestants, only one can become the champion speller. Viewers will cheer for every child, but your heart goes out to the contestants from impoverished or immigrant families. You know how much it will mean to them and their parents if they win.

This thrilling documentary will not only touch your heart but will cause it to race. The editing by Yana Gorskaya highlights the drama that grips you as you watch contestants attempt to spell difficult words. You wait with bated breath as they deliberate, often while unconsciously pulling hilarious faces. If they are wrong, you feel your heart shatter as their disappointed faces fill the screen. But if they are right, you cheer and smile, overjoyed.

The score, arranged by Daniel Hulsizer, enhances the tension. Short and staccato notes play as contestants spell difficult words causing your blood pressure to skyrocket. Also, the lack of music as the children think creates overwhelming drama as you beg, “Please get the word right!”

This documentary is chock-full of heartwarming victories, tear-inducing failures, and endless tension. “Spellbound” is i-n-t-e-n-s-e.

on Apr. 17 2015 at 11:42 am
raysofsunshine GOLD, Lakebay, Washington

"It's not about the happy ending, it's about the story."

Amazing review! You kept me engaged the whole time as everything you had to say about the movie was really interesting. I especially like how you spelled out intense in the end. Congrats on being published!