Beasts of the Southern Wild | Teen Ink

Beasts of the Southern Wild

By Emmitt15 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Emmitt15 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

Beasts of the Southern Wild is about a girl who survives one of the worst hurricanes in the world. Good movies are hard to come across, but this film about life, love and loss proved that wrong. The director of the film, Benh Zeitlin did a great job with the plot which is the reason why this film received 3.5 stars out of 5 according to rottentomatoes.com.

Quvenzhane Wallis plays the six-year-old girl named Hushpuppy, who lives with her father Wink, played by Dwight Henry, in New Orleans, Louisiana. Hushpuppy is a tough and smart young lady. Her father is teaching her how to take care of herself because he is dying. And she’s learning, at six years of age, how to be on her own. For example, she knows how to cook her own food. Her father taught her how to kill a fish which was to hit it in the head.

Hushpuppy’s fears are the rising waters and her feelings about her parents(her dad is very sick, and her mom is dead, although Hush still sees her in spirit), mean that she slips into an imagination stage which involves mythical creatures called oroxes which are out to get her. In the end, will she overcome her fears and the oroxes, or will she be defeated?

Beasts is considered the genre of magical realism. This is, sort of a fairytale in which the audience gets into the child’s imagination and goes through what she is going through in this soon to be classic film.

This is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.