Paperman This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

A black-and-white short film with no dialogue, John Kahr’s “Paperman” reminds us that seven minutes is enough to tell an articulate story of love and possibility. Inspired by the split-second connections between strangers, it follows the story of the chance meeting between George and Meg, brought together by a lipstick-marked paper.

Discouraged following his extremely brief meeting and subsequent separation from Meg, George arrives at work only to be surprised to find her in an office building across the street. Much to the annoyance of his boss, he begins to throw paper airplanes at the open window, trying to get her attention without success. He runs out of paper soon enough, and determinedly folds the lipstick-marked paper into an airplane.

“Paperman” was created through an innovative blend of 2D and 3D animation, according to Kahr, “[bringing] together ... the expressiveness of 2D drawing immersed with the stability and dimensionality of CG.”

One of the especially impressive aspects of the short film is the amount of detail put into the entirety of it, from the nuances in facial expression to the little things that assure you, yes, you’re in 1940s New York. It’s tied together with a hilarious cast of supporting characters and George’s equally hilarious reactions to the whole affair.

“Paperman” is an innocent, uplifting piece of art that won’t fail to brighten up your day.

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 27 at 11:51 am
It's such a beautiful short film. I remember I watched it a billion times after first discovering it! :P The art style and animation both look incredible, and the music is really good, too!

the-unrehearsedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 27 at 7:43 pm
Thank you! I'm so happy there are people who love it as much as I do~

AlaNovaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 16 at 1:26 pm
Oh my goodness, this a wonderful review and I love the details you give. Bravissima--I hope more people will be inspired to watch the wonderful short film. :)  Also, quick Q here, but how did you get that picture from Amazon? I've been wanting to do a couple o' reviews, and I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!! xD 

Jul. 16 at 6:28 pm
Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! You'll have to choose a photo for your review on the submission page, but if the photo for the media you're reviewing is available online, TeenInk should replace the photo for you. 

Blueskies97 said...
Jul. 8 at 2:52 pm
wow what a good movie, never would have found it without this. 5 stars

Jul. 8 at 5:05 pm
I'm glad you found this helpful!

arcanusrose said...
Jul. 8 at 1:19 am
I love how you reviewed a short film, I never see that anymore. Thanks for the rec!

Jul. 8 at 5:06 pm
Thanks! I think short films receive much less appreciation than they deserve. There's something about telling a story in a short window of time that makes them so special. 

Angela said...
Jul. 8 at 1:16 am
Watched it and loved it... Thanks for sharing!!

Jul. 8 at 5:06 pm
Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed it.