Paperman | Teen Ink

Paperman

By the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other
the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.

A black-and-white short film with no dialogue, John Kahr’s “Paperman” reminds us that seven minutes is enough to tell an articulate story of love and possibility. Inspired by the split-second connections between strangers, it follows the story of the chance meeting between George and Meg, brought together by a lipstick-marked paper.

Discouraged following his extremely brief meeting and subsequent separation from Meg, George arrives at work only to be surprised to find her in an office building across the street. Much to the annoyance of his boss, he begins to throw paper airplanes at the open window, trying to get her attention without success. He runs out of paper soon enough, and determinedly folds the lipstick-marked paper into an airplane.

“Paperman” was created through an innovative blend of 2D and 3D animation, according to Kahr, “[bringing] together ... the expressiveness of 2D drawing immersed with the stability and dimensionality of CG.”

One of the especially impressive aspects of the short film is the amount of detail put into the entirety of it, from the nuances in facial expression to the little things that assure you, yes, you’re in 1940s New York. It’s tied together with a hilarious cast of supporting characters and George’s equally hilarious reactions to the whole affair.

“Paperman” is an innocent, uplifting piece of art that won’t fail to brighten up your day.

LillianAB SILVER, Sisters, Oregon, Oregon

"I had bad days!"- John Watson Sherlock BBC

I love that film! I've watched it with my sister so many times!

the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

Thank you! I'm so happy there are people who love it as much as I do~

on Aug. 27 2014 at 11:51 am
kingofwriters BRONZE, DeWitt, Michigan

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King

I love books, and I love technology, but I don't want to see the latter overwhelm the former. I just think books are meant to be pages you turn, not screens you scroll through.

It's such a beautiful short film. I remember I watched it a billion times after first discovering it! :P The art style and animation both look incredible, and the music is really good, too!

the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

Thanks, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! You'll have to choose a photo for your review on the submission page, but if the photo for the media you're reviewing is available online, TeenInk should replace the photo for you. 

AlaNova ELITE said...
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois

Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."

Oh my goodness, this a wonderful review and I love the details you give. Bravissima--I hope more people will be inspired to watch the wonderful short film. :)  Also, quick Q here, but how did you get that picture from Amazon? I've been wanting to do a couple o' reviews, and I can't seem to get it to work. Thanks!! xD 

the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

Thanks for commenting! I'm glad you enjoyed it. 

the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

Thanks! I think short films receive much less appreciation than they deserve. There's something about telling a story in a short window of time that makes them so special. 

the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other

I'm glad you found this helpful!

Blueskies97 said...
wow what a good movie, never would have found it without this. 5 stars

white_lotus said...
on Jul. 8 2014 at 1:19 am
white_lotus, Calgary, Other
I love how you reviewed a short film, I never see that anymore. Thanks for the rec!

Angela said...
on Jul. 8 2014 at 1:16 am
Watched it and loved it... Thanks for sharing!!