Paperman | Teen Ink

Paperman

July 4, 2014
By the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other
the-unrehearsed GOLD, Calgary, Other
18 articles 2 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.


A black-and-white short film with no dialogue, John Kahr’s “Paperman” reminds us that seven minutes is enough to tell an articulate story of love and possibility. Inspired by the split-second connections between strangers, it follows the story of the chance meeting between George and Meg, brought together by a lipstick-marked paper.

Discouraged following his extremely brief meeting and subsequent separation from Meg, George arrives at work only to be surprised to find her in an office building across the street. Much to the annoyance of his boss, he begins to throw paper airplanes at the open window, trying to get her attention without success. He runs out of paper soon enough, and determinedly folds the lipstick-marked paper into an airplane.

“Paperman” was created through an innovative blend of 2D and 3D animation, according to Kahr, “[bringing] together ... the expressiveness of 2D drawing immersed with the stability and dimensionality of CG.”

One of the especially impressive aspects of the short film is the amount of detail put into the entirety of it, from the nuances in facial expression to the little things that assure you, yes, you’re in 1940s New York. It’s tied together with a hilarious cast of supporting characters and George’s equally hilarious reactions to the whole affair.

“Paperman” is an innocent, uplifting piece of art that won’t fail to brighten up your day.