X-men: Days of Future Past | Teen Ink

X-men: Days of Future Past

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

This movie officially erased X-men origins, and X-men the last stand from the X-men timeline.
X-men: Days of Future Past! Now this movie is a prequel to the first x-men movie while also being a sequel to the whole x-men movie series. Where this movie fits in with the series is a bit head-scratching but the story is nevertheless amazing. It's overall story follows the events of first class and the storyline of its comic book counterpart with a few changes that I noticed with the designs. First, Bishop has dreadlocks; I was sketchy about that at first but not all the designs match the comic book style and changes have to be made. Second, the trailers tricked most of the fan base by making it look like we were going to see Psylocke in this movie but in reality, it's the mutant Blink who can create portals and energy daggers. Hopefully we will get Psylocke in an x-men movie.
The story can be confusing since time travel is involved but it's not as hard to follow as one might think. Any changes are explained well, like how in the past Xavier can walk. Granted, the reason doesn't make sense just like the comics but it's forgivable. It takes place after first class and follows Wolverine: of course. Like the trailers suggest; he's sent back in time to stop the sentinels from being made. I really enjoy the designs and backstory of the sentinels, but their default form resembles the Destroyer from Thor 1 a little too much. Hey, different studios and all.
Without spoiling too much about the movie, wolverine is sent back to the 1970's before he got his adamantium skeleton and his mission is to stop a certain event from happening. The event in particular is something I won't spoil for anyone but we do get some great action in this movie. Young Quicksilver is in the movie and his scenes are by far the funniest. Scarlet witch isn't in the movie since she's still a little girl. We might not officially see her until Avengers 2.
The acting here is also really good; especially the scenes with young Xavier. The chemistry with these characters is incredible and after watching first class, hearing what happened to them is heartbreaking. We do get to see Magneto and Xavier reunite, both past and future, and it made me wonder how they ever stayed friends with their different paths, beliefs, and motives. But seeing them come together again in this movie was great. The losers stars from the first few xmen films are here too; Storm, Iceman, Colossus, Beast, Kitty Pride (whose powers that allow her to walk through walls also allow her to send people back in time). And the new characters are cool too; Bishop, Blink, Trask, Quicksilver, and Sunspot.
The way they move the plot keeps the audience intrigued and invested throughout. This film kept me wondering 'what happens next'. It's thrilling, and you care. When a story like this hooks you, you stay invested. Even if there are a few things that you may not like (for me it's the bone claws), you keep on caring. This movie makes you hope. Despite how cheesy that sounds, the overall idea flowing throughout this movie is hope. The characters keep on hoping about their past and future, and that hope rubs off on us.
Along with the acting, the comedy is on point as always. When the movie references other scenes from other xmen films or makes a joke/witty retort, the theater laughs their asses off. I had to recover from a couple moments like that and it was funny. Also, the effects have improved since the last movie and it looks great. I like the way the future characters look, and how the directors made the past look like it was in the 70's. Props to them.
Last but not least; the ending and the end credit scene sets up so many ideas for new xmen movies (especially since they erased 3 and origins). After seeing this movie, it made me think what they'll do next. Another movie that follows the events of this one in the First Class era? A new and better Phoenix Saga movie? Will Fox, Sony, and Marvel get along and put Wolverine and Spiderman in the Avengers? So many questions that I pray we get answers to.
So, I loved this movie. I enjoyed the story, the comedy, the acting, and the possible set up for more movies using plots from the comics. I'm happy to say that X-men: Days of Future Past is...Awesometastic. When this movie is available on DVD and Blu-ray, I'll buy it and set it next to my other xmen movies. It will be awesome.
So if you've seen Xmen DOFP, what'd you think about it? What do you think Fox will do next with the franchise? Comment below and I'd like to know what you think. And you know the rest. Farewell.

This movie was awesome.