The Dark Knight Rises | Teen Ink

The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises, directed by Christopher Nolan is the next chapter in the Batman saga and exceeds critics and fans expectations. The film continues the story of Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) and the trials and tribulations that come with his title as the Batman. Although the story does have a fictitious charm to it, it also mirrors reality as to make it believable.

The story takes places in a "New York" style city called Gotham. The background of Bruce Wayne, as told in past Batman films, refreshes audiences of his rough childhood. Growing up in an orphanage, Wayne uses every mechanism he can to make his way to the top. Personally, I think his background is the most crucial and interesting thing there is about Wayne. The psychology of Batman is one that is rooted deeply from his childhood experience. Throughout the films, he stresses the importance of no guns and no killing. This by itself shows how he is a superhero like no other. While others kill their nemesis or injure people during the process, the Batman practices the skill of non-violent fighting. These small character traits reflect the kind of superhero he really is.

In the most recent film we see the very normal lives the citizens of Gotham live. From scenes in the stock exchange, to the orphanage Wayne founded for others, to a Gotham City football game, the reflection of reality Nolan displays in this film makes it trump any other superhero movie. Although the city is portrayed as relatively normal, the citizens go about their day-to-day lives knowing that the Batman will protect them. In this film, Gotham finds itself in danger under the impression that the Batman killed one of their beloved heroes Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), just as a new enemy "Bane" arises. The Batman has been detached from society for some seven years and the news of his return leaves the city questioning. In this sequel, Batman must save the city although they may not be on his side. That is one of the most complex traits of this movie. Usually in superhero movies the good guy is praised and the city is forever grateful. However, due to the disappearance of the Batman, the city does not know whether or not they should still be cheering for him. Along with the reflection of real life, the comic book fanatics, and technology wizzes can also get their fix with the gadgets and uniforms that make up the Batman image. This begins with the notorious sleek and black Batman suit and cape that somehow never interferes with his combat. His vehicle of choice "The Batmobile," is responsible for half the earnings this franchise has received. In the film Mr. Fox (Morgan Freeman) and Alfred Pennyworth (Michael Payne) open the comic fanatics fantasy world when they introduce the bat cave. Home of every technology and piece of armor the Batman could ever need, and hidden in the depths of the sewer, it pleases anyone's dreams of what this looked like. The way the filmmakers created this dream like haven strikes any comic book fan with awe and disbelief. Finally, when the city is in crisis and the return of batman is questionable, the fiery yellow flames make their name known as the Batman's symbol is displayed in viewing range for the entire city to not only see but praise. In this film, Batman takes on the task of bringing down Bane. After a series of loops and turns, the audience is dumbfounded to find out the real mastermind behind the whole operation. Christopher Nolan truly captured and displayed what and who Batman really is.