The emperor's new groove | Teen Ink

The emperor's new groove

April 22, 2014
By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
60 articles 2 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27


Long ago there was a kingdom ruled by a young emperor, whose name was Kuzco (David Spade). Let's just say that like a certain superhero (or two) this guy had a bit of a maturity issue: Anything he says goes, not considering moral virtues. This includes planning to destroy the peasant Pacha's (John Goodman) village to make room for his "ultimate summer getaway; complete with water-slide!" Then everything gets switched around when he fires his adviser, Yzma (Eartha Kitt). Yzma, determined to replace the 18-year-old ruler, goes to her secret lab and plots with her thick-headed assistant Kronk (Patrick Warburton) to poison Kuzco. So that evening at dinner, Kuzco innocently takes a swig of the poisoned drink and collapses. The end! Wait-no? Okaay...wha..is that..."a llama? HE'S SUPPOSED TO BE DEAD!!!"


The good stuff:
The general themes that are constant in the film are unselfishness, humility, co-operation, and trust.
Even though Kuzco has threatened to destroy his village, Pacha risks his life several times to save him, believing that Kuzco can change. In time Kuzco returns the favors.
When Kronk needs to make tough descions, an angel shows up on his shoulder, even though a devil appears on the other. The angel says that "from above the evil shall receive their just rewards."
Pacha's family is bonded strongly together.

The bad stuff:
Even though this is a cartoon-like animated film, there may be questioning on whether Yzma's collar's are too low, though nothing inappropriate is shown. The only occourance of that is when Yzma pulls up her skirt to reveal a dagger strapped to her leg. In Kuzco's early introduction song, the phrases "The quintesense of perfection, that is he" and "The alpha and omega," show up. When Pacha discovers a talking llama-Kuzco in his cart, he cries out "demon llama!" Pacha holds back what Kuzco said from his wife.


This has to be one of the best Disney films of all time, even though it's hard to find. I highly recommend this to anyone, as it is a story for all ages.