Insidious | Teen Ink

Insidious

April 14, 2014
By Emily Conlin BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Emily Conlin BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Monsters Making Money

The gory, bloody movies are moving aside in popularity for a new genre of scary movies: paranormal. Movie theater sales are continually improving; however, people are now choosing to invest their money in scary movies. In the past, scary movies were considered atrocious because of cheesy effects. Advancements in technology finally allowed paranormal movies to flourish in the movie market.
Stephen King opened the world’s eyes to the horrifying subject with books such as The Stand, The Shining, and Carrie. People were thrilled with the genre. These books eventually were adapted to the screen to become popular movies. Legendary films were made during this time. People escaped the stress of their daily lives by going to the movies and wetting their pants with fright. The ridiculous notion of the walking dead and dreadful witches provided the population with an escape route. They were allowed to dream about being bitten by vampires without being considered weird. This genre targeted the largest group of movie-goers: teenagers. Naïve teenagers could go watch paranormal films and relate to the main protagonists, who were also other naïve teens.
Insidious is just one of the many recent paranormal movies to come out and terrify audiences. The movie focused on a family moving into the typical new, creepy houses seen in horror films. Renai and Josh Lambert are parents of Dalton and Foster Lambert. The movie continues as ghosts and mysterious figures show up around the house. The family should have left the house when they discovered they were being haunted, but the director chose to make the main characters incredibly ignorant. One day, Dalton doesn’t wake up and goes into a coma. The movie continues with more dull and non- scary ghosts showing up every ten minutes. The family attempts to wake up Dalton throughout the movie, but they soon realize that only the father can rescue Dalton from a demon. The demon ruins the movie by looking like a mutated horse clown. The film continues to get worse and worse when a women is brutally murdered and apparently no one in the room over hears her incredibly loud screams.
The director redeems himself a little with Insidious II. They tie up loose ends and they actually make the antagonist scary looking. Both movies are awful by themselves; however, they could be considered descent if both are seen.