Chick-Flicks | Teen Ink

Chick-Flicks

April 11, 2014
By krhargrave BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
krhargrave BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Chick Flicks

In today’s society there are so many popular movie genres. We all have our own opinions; although, if you rack your brain the makers of movies generally shoot for a specific audience. Us teens these days are mostly into the comedies and thrilling horror. What about romance? Well romance fits into its own genre too and has mostly a distinctive type of audience.

Romance movies are also well known to be “chick-flicks.” This partly being because women and young teenage girls are into love related, cute movies. Typically the audiences these romance films attract are the women. Women are usually more emotional than men so it’s easier for women to relate to romance. Hence the word chick-flicks: meaning the film is for women and girls not men.

All films are placed into genres. Some films can even be placed into multiple genres. In the sense of romance, expect to see films along the lines of The Vow, The Notebook, The Last Song, and so on. Romance films bring almost a thrilling expression to the audience, because even though not all are action packed the films express love and affection. Love is the main points in romance films; it could make you feel all mushy inside drawing you into wanting to experience more chick-flick romance films.

Films are placed in genres by what the outcomes are in the movies. Love is placed in romance because love mostly defines romance as a whole. Love/romance films suck in girls and women because they have caring hearts and are attracted to sad and even happy romance films. The Vow has its own place you could say in the genres. Two people madly in love, just to end up in a horrible accident; separating from each other’s lives. Just to fall back into love. This is exactly what romance is about, finding the other part of you. The person who you love and makes you a better person. Two people coming together as one by true love are what these romance films have in store for us.

The Vow was most definitely action packed romance. A married couple going from madly in love and doing everything together to becoming divorced, going their separate ways all because of an accident. The main character Paige and her husband Leo end up in a horrible crash leading to the loss of Paige’s memory. This puts Leo in the struggle of trying to make his wife remember how much she loved him. With the plentiful amount of twist and turns Leo struggles to fight for her love finally losing; ending in a divorce. Forcing Leo to move on from his one true love and restart a new chapter in his life. Until the two love birds find their way back into each others hearts falling back in love.

The Vow is a wonderful love packed movie that catches the eyes of all women and young girls in love, even some who aren’t. The film was different then most romance chick-flicks creating a twist in the plot with the accident. I felt the movie drew me in with every second it played. The Vow comes as the perfect date movie and really shows how two people once in love can find their paths back to each other’s hearts no matter the circumstances. Something that was pleasant about the film is how the end explains the lives the two had in real life afterwards. The film didn’t leave me confused; pondering on what had happened in the future. I extremely recommend this film to all who is interested in chick-flicks. The Vow truly is a one of a kind romance film.