Twilight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Twilight”– based on the first book in the best-selling series by Stephenie Meyer – is a faithful adaptation that will satiate the thirst of fans and simultaneously captivate new audiences.

The movie follows the story of Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart), a normal girl thrust into a secret supernatural world when she falls in love with her mysterious classmate, Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). He just happens to be a vampire.

Ditch your preconceived ­notions of vampires; this isn't a typical vampire tale. If you are looking for clichéd stereotypes with fangs, coffins, and stakes through the heart, this isn't the movie for you. Director Catherine Hardwicke and screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg stay true to Meyer's vision and create a film that ­exposes “Twilight” for what it essentially is: a story of the ­ultimate forbidden love.

Hardwicke once again proves her knack for portraying raw teenage experiences, as she did in “Thirteen” and “Lords of Dogtown.” She directs a young cast of phenomenal talent. Leads Stewart and Pattinson throw themselves into their roles and portray their characters exceptionally well. The chemistry between the two is electric.

Stewart gives a fresh, honest take on Bella. Her straightforward interpretation allows viewers to live vicariously through Bella and experience what she does. You feel her longing and desire.

Pattinson conveys Edward's inner turmoil flawlessly. His complex perception of the ­character creates a believable Edward. He conveys his feelings of vitality and emotional reawakening through his ­expressions.

The movie also has an outstanding supporting cast. Billy Burke as Bella's father, Ashley Greene as Alice Cullen, and Michael Welch as Mike Newton all deserve a nod for excellent portrayal of their characters.

The film itself is visually ­dynamic. The movie is shot in crisp blue tones. The costumes are pallid, veering away from traditional vampire attire. Bella's wardrobe ­becomes closer to the Cullens' as she grows closer to them. The nomad vampires appear savage in clothes taken from their victims.

Filmed in Portland, Oregon, the movie features stunning views and beautiful landscapes. Because of the small budget, action sequences were done physically. Though some may find the special effects lacking, the simplicity enhances Hardwicke's unique documentary-style filming. Using extreme close-ups and whimsical angles, the camera work gives the movie an intimate, realistic feel.

The music ties in to the story perfectly. Consisting of moody, angst-filled rock songs, the soundtrack fits the tone. From Muse's upbeat “Supermassive Black Hole” playing during a game of vampire baseball, to Iron and Wine's romantic “Flightless Bird, American Mouth” at prom, the songs set the mood for the scenes.

A longer film would have ­allowed more time to explain the essentials of the plot, making it easier for those who have not read the book. Although it mirrors the book very closely, many scenes had to be cut. The danger of the nomadic vampires is threaded throughout the movie to create more tension. The essence of the story is present, making changes in details insignificant; the movie's creators successfully captured the elements that made readers fall in love with Bella and Edward.

The book and the movie are equally ­satisfying, albeit in different ways, and neither is better. While you can imagine the detailed story unfolding in your head when reading the book, the movie creates a sweet condensed version for the big screen. Both allow you to lose yourself in this passionate, unorthodox romance.

All components work to­gether nicely in “Twilight” to efficiently bring the book to life. The film is a beautiful mixture of romance, action, comedy, and horror, containing aspects that will appeal to everyone.

Angie_24 said...
today at 3:04 pm:
Wow.  I usually consider myself among the crowd of hipsters completely against Twilight, but you made me see the movie in a whole new way.  You made some really cool observations!

Alabian said...
I am not a Twilight fan, but you made me want to see the movies with this. Very, very well written! You know how to convince people. 5/5!

laurenevansok said...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:44 am:
This is the first review I've read on this website, and I've fallen in love with it. After reading this review I HAD to sign up to be apart of Teen Ink. This piece of writing is phenominal and I found myself smiling throughout. Well done!

ILUVBOOKS'N'MOVIES said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:57 am:
i adore twilight i read;twilight,new moon, and now i have only 70 pages to go to breaking dawn. and based on this reveiw it is very suspensful and makes anyone want to read more about this twilight saga just like me.

Dolly9471 said...
A very well-written review. You should be a critic! (-:

FluteGirl445This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You obivously not a vampire fan because theses arent real vampires. they are sparkly super humans that live forever. I mean these people dont even drink humans blood

Angie_24 replied...
today at 3:08 pm :
Although I'm not a big fan of Twilight either, the cool thing about Stephanie Meyers is that she completley revolutionized how we think of vampires.  I mean, vampires are an idea that belong to the public.  As the public changes the way they view vampires, so does the actual myth of vampires.  Don't get me wrong - the traditional Dracula style vampire will always remain relevant, but it might be moving to the background.

Debi8 said...
I liked your review, but all the Twilight movies suck. I tried reading the first book and i could not get through the first couple pages. I hate Twilight to death and i am so glad that it is finally over! But your review was well writen, so good job.

America B. said...
Dec. 20, 2012 at 10:31 am:
Amazing review I loved it ,it ,ade me want to see it (:

Absterie said...
Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:15 am:
Okay this was a compelling review, but I would just like to correct something... This is NOT all teenagers' points of view as the links say, like I hate Twilight to death and I have a right to; I have seen all the movies. This was a great review but SSSOOO FAKE. The end, thanks for your time.

JustTheDoctor said...
Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:09 am:
I agree with one things: KStew and RPatz played their roles flawlessly. KStew, with her lack of facial expression, appropriately conveyed the dullness of the character Bella, and RPatz, with his hatred of the character Edward, perfectly pulled off Edward's self-hatred.

Molly R. said...
Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:45 am:
I love your review it has persuaded me to go and read the book and view the movie!

JustTheDoctor replied...
Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:57 am :
Oh, no... that really sucks for you.

BellaCharlie said...
Your review is really good. You gave details that drew the reader in without giving away the ending. I love the Twilight book series, but I have trouble watching the movie because I am one of those people who get frustrated when movies do not match the books exactly. However, you made the movie sound awesome. Fantastic job!

sunnyday said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 10:51 am:
Twilight is awesome! I like it because of the mysterious ways of Edward and Jacob. I am obsessed with vampires. I don't know why. Maybe it is because of their rock hard abs, but i love them. They are so amazing. I've wanted to be a vampire for a long time.

Time Lord said...
Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm:
...And it's a good thing to live vicarousily through a (badly written) book character?

ahren said...
May 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm:

You seem devoted. Someone who hasn't yet read the books or watched the movies would actually be inclined to read it. I like the review. Twilight series- I do not.

For someone who's had the misfortune to read the books and bump across the movies during channel surfing rampages, the article seems to elevate them beyond belief. For one, the themes in the book are not merely trite and un-original (vampire, forbidden love, love triangles. really?) but the writing style is disappointingly on... (more »)

twilightfan4eva said...
May 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm:
AMAZING MOVIE!

tori26shippThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

i love you damonsalvatore 1864 i cant tell u how hilarious it was tht aftr seeing ur username the 1st time i knew ud reccomend the best vampire series at some point!

zoid123 said...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 11:38 am:
I think that what you are saying is somewhat true. R.P. although is supposed to come off as stiff. He is trying to avoid falling for her because he doesn't want to hurt her. BUUUUTT, I do agree that K.S. could come off better and have more facial expressions.