Back to the Future | Teen Ink

Back to the Future MAG

March 25, 2014
By Minionette SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Minionette SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine yourself being chased by menacing, armed men in an electrically powered car. When you reach 88 miles per hour, there are flashes of lightning. Then, you drive by a welcome post, and you see that you're in 1955, three decades before your time. You know no one, no one knows you, and you have no idea how to get back to the present. Now you know how Marty McFly feels in the ground-breaking adventure that was made into a trilogy, “Back to the Future.”

Directed by Robert Zemeckis and produced by Steven Spielberg, “Back to the Future” is set in 1985. Marty (Michael J. Fox) is an ordinary teenager who is late for school, loves skateboarding and playing guitar, and wants to impress girls, especially his girlfriend, Jennifer (Claudia Wells). But when his close friend, mad scientist Doctor Emmett Brown (Doc for short, played by Christopher Lloyd), makes a time machine out of a DeLorean, a rare car in the early 1980s, Marty is accidently sent thirty years back in time. He must find a way to get back to the future – before it's too late.

The acting ensemble is spectacular. From Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd to Lea Thompson and Crispin Glover, the jokes make you chuckle and the emotional scenes make your heart reach out for the characters. One of the funniest lines is when President Ronald Reagan is compared to his younger self as an actor, in which the Doc of 1955 doesn't believe he could have become president. He then sarcastically suggested other entertainers to take up positions in the government, such as goofy singer Jerry Lewis for VP. In fact, when Reagan saw this movie and heard that joke, he asked the projectionist to replay it.

The acting isn't the only factor that makes “Back to the Future” top-notch. The visual effects are mind-blowing for a movie released in the '80s. But the makeup is even more extreme, turning the 23-year-old Lea Thompson into her 47-year-old character. The music, composed by Alan Silvestri, balances the story and action with sound that matches the tempo perfectly, making the movie even more memorable.

“Back to the Future” won 14 awards, including an Oscar and was nominated for 24 others, including a Grammy. It was also the top grossing movie of 1985. So set the date for November 5, 1955, because you're going to be taken back to the future!