Mao's Last Dancer | Teen Ink

Mao's Last Dancer

By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

The story of a chinese boy making his way to the top of the world: never seen anything like that before. And it's pretty awesome.

Mao's Last Dancer! This is the story of Li Cunxin, a chinese boy who grows up with the hardships and suffering the chinese people had back in the early 1900's. The actor who plays Li looks like a skinny stunt double for Liu Kang, in a cool way. and when you watch him go through his life story, you really feel the weight of his journey. Growing up in the communist country of china during the 1900's must've been hard. Being told what to do, where to go, what to say: no freedom what so ever. Li was taken into a ballet program when he was around the age of 8 and it all goes uphill from there.

As we are greeted with the trials Li faced while growing up makes you feel guilty about how good your life is in America. However, that also makes you feel more for Li and are more moved when he succeeds at something. During his childhood years to his adulthood, you see it all: the victories, the failures, the hardships, the drama, the romance, and of course the dancing. Watching this man dance is so incredible. It takes your breath away.

When Li gets to America, he faces obsticles that challenge his communist intuitions. He finds it hard to believe how cool America is when in their chinese schools they always shat on America. There are so many new things Li experiences in America, like love. He also has trouble juggling his social life and his ballet. I'm trying not to spoil too much because it is that good.

This movie also tells the tale of how one man can make a difference. George Bush (the first one) helps Li in his most desperate time of need, even though we never see him. Also Li's lawyer, Charles Foster, and Ben Stevenson (the Houston ballet director) led very successful lives after helping Li in this extrordinary true event. This movie was based on a true story: no ifs, ands or buts about it.

There is so much emotion put into this film and they captured the essence of the event very well. This movie is very good. One of the best documentaries I've seen since The Blind Side. I love this movie and i will buy it. Even though I said I'd buy it, there is without a doubt that 'Mao's Last Dancer' is....Awesometastic!!!

So have you seen 'Mao's Last Dancer?' What did you think? Comment below, let me know. And if you liked this review and want to see more, check out my page to see more. And: go find this movie and watch it! You won't be disappointed. Bye bye.

A man dancing is not funny: It is Awesome!