Forrest Gump | Teen Ink

Forrest Gump

By Eglestan SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Eglestan SILVER, Denver, Colorado

Forrest Gump is unique for its look into issues of the United States through the eyes of an innocent man. Forrest Gump was released in 1994 and was directed by Robert Zemeckis, the director of Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The star of the film, named Forrest Gump, is played by Tom Hanks, who received his second oscar for his performance in the movie. The movie is told through a narrated series of flashbacks that shows the life of a man with an IQ of 75, stumbling into historical events and trying to do what he thinks is right. Forrest Gump is a man who takes everything the way he sees it. If he sees someone being hurt, he tries to help them right away. This is done without any thought of just leaving the issue to save himself the trouble.
Forrest Gump’s character and devotion is shown very well, especially in the scenes that include Jenny, played by Robin Wright. The movie often includes Forrest meeting with Jenny and trying to protect her from people abusing or hurting her. His innocence really comes out as he tries to show that he loves her by fighting with the people who hurt her. This improved his character in my opinion because it showed that he has a huge amount of devotion for his friends, family, and other loved ones.
I think Forrest Gump is great because of his loyalty and devotion which allow him to become a hero and a legend. Those qualities made me feel good about myself and about the ability of one person to accomplish great things without becoming corrupted in the process. I would recommend this movie to anyone who wants to see the issues of the United States from a fresh perspective and feel good about it in the process.