Catching Fire | Teen Ink

Catching Fire

By llaacci GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
llaacci GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Shoot for the moon; even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars.

'Catching Fire' is the second book to 'The Hunger Games', and was recently released as a movie in November. I sat impatiently throughout the trailer, restless until the actual movie started. Catching Fire is my favorite book out of the trilogy, so of course I was excited. Little did I know, I would be deeply disappointed. From a person like me who's read the book 12 times, I noticed little things like mixed plot- lines, and details that were relevant cut out. I know that in a movie based off of a book everything can't be included, but I feel like this was absolutely unacceptable. 2 hours is indeed enough to make the book into an award-winning movie, but unfortunately, ‘Catching Fire' didn't deliver that. Already having an hour and a half outside of the arena, unnecessary things were put in, leaving us with a fast-paced, choppy arena experience. The only thing I liked about this movie was its cliff-hanger ending, persuading the movie watcher to get tickets for the next movie coming out in late 2014. By the time I reached the end of the movie and the ending credits were rolling, I was so incredibly sad that my favorite 'Hunger Games' book had been made into such a suckish movie.

I'm most definitely not bashing any Catching Fire fans. I'm still hoping that Mockingjay part one and two will be exceptional.