Harold and Maude | Teen Ink

Harold and Maude

By katemccarthy GOLD, San Francisco, California
katemccarthy GOLD, San Francisco, California

"Live every week like it's shark week."
--30 Rock

Do you think of yourself as quirky? Maybe even a little bit adorkable? If you answered yes, then you will love the 1971 cult hit Harold and Maude. A rich, morose and unhappy young man, Harold, finds an unlikely companion in elderly — but vivacious — Maude and learns to live life to the fullest. All cougar and cradle-robber jokes aside, Harold and Maude is about true and un-superficial love that defies conformity. Harold and Maude’s love affair seems unnatural and strange, but in actuality it’s one of the purest and most natural love stories ever told. In juxtaposing the themes of life and death, director Hal Ashby makes the blossoming love all the more vibrant and real. This film is sweet, touching, hilarious, shocking, slightly odd for its unconventional plot, and even life-affirming. Ruth Gordon’s spunky performance as Maude, and the entertainingly over-the-top suicides attempted by Harold, played by Bud Cort, are reason enough to ditch the usual channel surfing and rent this movie immediately. Cat Stevens’s earthy soundtrack adds a nice touch and complements the diffuse, hazy imagery of the film. Take note of the movie’s transformational character development that changes the whole tone of the film. Watching Harold become a fulfilled and happy person will put a smile on your face. What are you waiting for? Add Harold and Maude to your Netflix queue and settle in for an offbeat and unforgettable film experience!