Eagle Eye | Teen Ink

Eagle Eye

By Megan Elgin BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
Megan Elgin BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas

Watching With An Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye, produced by Steven Spielberg, is a must-see. It could be categorized as a thriller, mystery, or action movie. This movie is filled with suspenseful car chases and leaves the viewer guessing as to what will come next.

Main characters Jerry Shaw and Rachel Holloman are “activated” by an unknown source. They keep receiving phone calls, from whom they do not know, telling them to complete certain tasks. Whomever is contacting them makes it possible for them to do anything, from changing all red lights to green, getting them away from the cops, to sneaking them into high-security places. The setting jumps all over the place but originates in Illinois. Some other settings include Indianapolis and the Pentagon.

Shia Lebouf, from Transformers, stars as Jerry Shaw and Michelle Monaghan from Mission Impossible: 3, plays Rachel Holloman. They both did an effective job of portraying how worried and confused the characters were. Despite being scared, I think they accurately depicted how a normal person would react to these scenarios. Another character, FBI agent Thomas Morgan, was played by Billy Bob Thornton. His role was as an agent, who was constantly chasing Jerry and Rachel. He also accurately represented someone who was bound and determined to catch a fleeing crime duo.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I am not usually the type who goes for government-type films. Despite this movie having that theme, I found the car chases riveting and could not look away long enough to tell my mom what I wanted for dinner. I could easily predict some scenarios but other times I was hanging on every word, trying to piece it all together. One aspect I did not particularly enjoy was the cursing, but that is simply because I possess a very religious background. Other than that, I liked the story line.

A theme that came through to me was that while technology is pivotal, it is important to keep it in its place. If we are not careful, technology can outsmart us and get to the point that Aria in the move arrives at.

The movie is currently rated PG-13 and I agree with this rating. I think guys would specifically find it interesting as well as girls. I do not know if I could picture a thirteen-year-old fully grasping the concept of this film. I would leave it up to the moral standards of the person who is watching it because as I mentioned before, it does have some cursing, including the f-word at least once. Overall I would rank this movie four out of five stars.