Titanic | Teen Ink

Titanic

By Jada-Marie BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Jada-Marie BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

With many hands, great work made light. -unknown

Movie Review

Panic on the Titanic

Many of us know what this story already. We know the history and have heard many tales about the RMS Titanic. We’ve read diaries, novels, and have seen documentaries on what it was like. It was the largest ship ever built by human alone. It’s incredible stature and durability as well as luxury gave it the nickname “The Ship of Dreams”. These are the things that we have studied and elaborated on for as long as we have been learning the history. But based on facts alone, I can’t help but ask the question, are we truly impacted by this tragedy?

Being humans, we are taken over most by what we have seen than what is factual. Meaning visually seeing something will help us know more of what it was like.

“Titanic” was written and directed by James Cameron in 1997. Costarring Leonardo DeCaprio as Jack Dawson and Kate Winslet as Rose Dewitt Bukater played astonishing roles portraying the frantic and Titanic passengers. I have seen other recreations of the sinking, but they lack a great deal of emotion to connect someone to the scene. Having emotion and a general understandable story draws the informant to its subject. The scene of the young mother solemnly placing her children back in bed though she knew their fate rested in her hands; (Actor Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews the chief naval architect) fixing the tilting clock; The captain (Edward Smith played by actor Bernard Hill) isolating himself in the failure of his ship. These are examples of believable, emotional, connections.

This movie is a love story where a rich girl meets a peasant boy. If you like romance, I highly recommend this movie. It keeps you on your toes at every scene keeping you to wonder what will happen next. I have seen this movie many times and I still hold the edge of my chair in suspense.

About 2,200 people boarded the RMS Titanic on April 12th, 1912 in Cherbourg, France. They were scheduled to reach New York April 17th. The ship was made of pure iron and could move as fast as 38 knots. It was said to be unsinkable. But the movie tells of how the “Ship of Dreams” bounced back on everyone’s expectations and fell to the bottom on the Atlantic and claimed a little more than 1,500 lives where they will never dream again.

A heart melting love story, a tragic tale of loss, and heroes who never made it out of the waves, “Titanic” is a must see movie. Love, lust, greed, hatred, discrimination, and the true passion of the actors, make this story so incredible. Packed with action, drama, and creativity are all combined in this breathtaking film. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who may have a hard time seeing people die. It can get pretty graphic in some areas though it is rated PG-13. It has a rating of 5 stars and it is truly an amazing story. Though it was created the year that I was born, people today are still moved to tears by the amount of passion present.

Jada-Marie BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Thank you! :) 

SammiStar15 SILVER, Newark, Delaware
This article nearly brought me to tears. You have such a unique voice to your piece that i feel as if i know you. Such talent; much wow.