Gattaca | Teen Ink

Gattaca

October 12, 2013
By Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
Ambercrombie SILVER, Chandler, Arizona
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A wasted day is one without a smile" ;D


Welcome to the not-so-far-off future, where science can predict your future; what jobs you can have, who you will marry, what you will look like, where genetic engineering of humans is common and DNA plays a common role in determining social status. Vincent Freeman (Ethan Hawke) was born without the aid of this technology, and needless to say, he suffered from the consequences. From the moment he was born, the doctors were able to see what defects, illnesses he had and what his life expectancy was. His parents were torn when they got the news that he suffered from myopia and congenital heart defect, as well as being given life expectancy of 30.2 years. Through his childhood and even in his early adulthood, Vincent faced extreme genetic discrimination and prejudice. Having to undergo these hardships, Vincent finally decides the only way he can achieve his life-long dream of becoming an astronaut is to break the law and impersonate a “valid”, a person with appropriate genetic advantage.

Vincent decides to assume the identity of Jerome Eugene Morrow (Jude Law), a former swimming star who, despite this genetic profile, won only a silver medal in a high profile competition. Aghast, he then attempted to commit suicide by jumping in front of a car, but again feel short of his goal in that he only succeeded in paralyzing himself from the waist down. However, this accident occurred outside of the country, so no one knows of his newly acquired disability. As Vincent goes through an astonishing transformation to look like Jerome (orthopedic surgery to increase his height, persistent practice to favor this right hand instead of his left, and contact lenses to replace his glasses and also make his eyes match Jerome’s eye color), Jerome prepares blood, tissue, urine samples, and even skin cells with his “valid” DNA to help Vincent pass as him. Vincent is now a “borrowed ladder” (a reference to the ladder structure of an un-coiled DNA strand), or in harsher language, a de-gene-erate.

With Jerome’s extraordinary genetic profile, Vincent easily gains access to the Gattaca Aerospace Corporation, the most prestigious space-flight conglomerate of the day. With his own equally impressive determination and precision in his work, he quickly becomes the company’s top celestial navigator. Unfortunately, a week before Vincent is schedules to leave for Saturn’s 12th moon, Titan, the mission director is murdered and evidence of Vincent’s own “in-valid” DNA is found in the corridor in the building in the form of an eyelash and marks him suspect. The presence of this unexpected DNA attracts the attention of the police and a pair of relentless detectives. Vincent must evade ever-increasing security as his mission launch date approaches while pursuing a relationship with his co-worker Irene Cassini (Uma Thurman).

To see what happens next and the heart wrenching ending, you must see the movie! This is one of the smartest and most provocative of science fiction films, a thriller with ideas. Even after seeing the movie countless times, I was captivated every single time. For anyone who craves suspense, action, and romance, I highly recommend this movie for you. Happy watching.


The author's comments:
Gattaca, the movie; Science Fiction at its Best