Warm Bodies | Teen Ink

Warm Bodies MAG

By KatyaA GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
KatyaA GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“Hungry. Very hungry. Need brain.” Have you ever wondered what goes on inside a zombie's head? “Warm Bodies” puts you inside a zombie's mind for an entire 98 minutes. Directed by Jonathan Levine and based on the novel by Isaac Marion, “Warm Bodies” is about R, a youthful zombie who has no memory of who he is or how the zombie apocalypse began. After he meets Julie, an uninfected human, their lives drastically change forever.

What comes to mind when you hear “zombie movie”? Ruthless monsters? Blood? Killing? “Warm Bodies” has all of that – but from the perspective of a zombie, making it unique. Though he is a walking corpse, R (played by Nicholas Hoult) is surprisingly bursting with inner feelings and emotions. This movie shows us that zombies are really not as evil as they are typically portrayed.

R's love interest, Julie (Teresa Palmer), is sweet and courageous with deeply buried secrets. The two meet when R saves her from being devoured, and he instantly falls in love. Together they battle zombies, bonies (skeleton zombies), their forbidden love, and the disease that is infecting everyone around them. The actors portray their characters in a way that makes them believable. The cast of “Warm Bodies” was chosen flawlessly.

Although it may at first appear to be a clichéd zombie movie, “Warm Bodies” is so much more. Thrilling, romantic, and humorous, it is suited for appreciators of many genres. As I watched, I experienced a mixture of tears, thrills, and chills. Each second was filled with unusual twists. “Warm Bodies” is an excellent movie that will warm anyone's heart.