Holes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Holes” is based on a great book by Louis Sachar and is one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. It has a lot of mystery and surprises. Teens will relate to the characters because they seem like an average bunch of kids.

“Holes” has many stories happening at once that all come together when the main characters Stanley (Shia Labeouf) and Zero (Khleo Thomas) become friends. The movie takes place at a juvenile detention camp named Camp Green Lake, but there is no lake, only miles and miles of desert where the boys have to dig holes. The boys eventually discover that they aren’t digging holes for punishment but to find a buried treasure that the warden (Sigourney Weaver) wants. Because the characters are easy to believe and are normal kids, this movie seems almost believable.

Stanley’s grandfather was cursed for the promise he broke and Stanley thinks the curse has carried over to him. This movie makes you realize good things can come from a bad situation. While at Camp Green Lake, Stanley and Zero manage to solve a great mystery. I think they find out that sometimes fate brings people together. Zero was the one who got Stanley into Camp Green Lake, but they need each other to escape.

I recommend “Holes” to anyone who likes to figure out puzzles or wants to see a different kind of teen movie. This group of boys is a lot like an older version of the boys in “Sandlot.” “Holes” is a unique story of boys in trouble who grow up and learn about themselves. And who wouldn’t like a movie about ancient curses, old mysteries and buried treasure?

Tris Prior said...
Jun. 20 at 5:53 pm:
Just to say something it was Stanleys great-great grandfather who was cursed first. Other then that it is a perfect review. Good job

annexgrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 9:15 am:
I have to say, I very much prefer the book over the movie. I feel there is so much more detail involved and the audience is much more part of the dual storyline. However, as it is a book-turned-movie, it's honestly not too bad. Not too much of the story line is missing, so even someone who hasn't read the book can keep up :)

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 10, 2011 at 2:46 pm :
The script was written by Sachar. How could it be bad? He kept it exactly the same as the book and it's like watching the movie in your head while you read the book. Sorry, but I think it's just as good.

emilyowston said...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 9:11 am:
i had to watch it when i was doing media in my english lessons, i thought it was pretty good and the actors represented the characters in the book really well :-) x

angle said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 4:07 am:
i love uz kiss kiss xoxoxxoxoxox

SALLYSUNSHINE said...
May 31, 2009 at 4:33 am:
WHAT WAS THE CURSE ABOUT IN THE HOLES

Apr. 10, 2011 at 2:48 pm :
Madam Zeroni helped him raise a pig. After the pig was raised, he was supposed to carry her up a hill so she could drink from the same stream the pig did. He forgot about this promise and sailed to America. Madam Zeroni then cursed him with bad luck.