V for Vendetta | Teen Ink

V for Vendetta MAG

By Anonymous

     A cape swishes in the night. A gang of power-hungry government agents stop an attractive woman with less than honorable intentions. The masked hero saves the woman and ... speaks eloquently with impressive alliteration? In character, V of the new movie from the Wachowski brothers is unlike any other hero we’ve seen in recent years.

“V for Vendetta” is set in a near-future Britain. A horrid virus has been unleashed, the people live in close quarters, and their leader has risen to a near totalitarian reign. The character V is the terrorist who wears a Guy Fawkes mask and wants to bring down the government. This movie is a stylish and sophisticated thriller, while conveying a real message.

Natalie Portman gives a brilliant performance as Evey, a woman with a troubled past who now works in Britain’s largest news station and has rebellious feelings for her government. Hugo Weaving’s performance as V seems almost over-the-top and even cartoony. You can also easily see the Wachowski brothers’ presence in this film. The action sequences are stylish and well executed. “V for Vendetta” is a smart thriller with a real message, conveyed in an entertaining way.