Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows | Teen Ink

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

July 19, 2013
By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD


Yes there was a sequel to Robert Downy Jr.'s Sherlock Holmes movie. I think we should get over that. I honestly do.
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows. So, if you remember my Sherlock Holmes review, which was my very first review by the way, you'd know that I was somewhat neutral about the movie overall. "I '_______' the movie." I was unsure how to feel about it. But now we have Sherlock Holmes 2, and it is a lot better than number 1. We have Robert Downy Jr. and Jude Law reprising their roles as Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. They own their roles. And this time, they have to team up once again in order to stop Professor James Moriarty from, you guessed it, taking over the world. Insert "Of Course" joke here. Unlike the first film however, they actually tell you what Holmes is thinking through these awesome scenes of Holmes planning things out. And Moriarty is similar to Holmes in intellect, physique, and strategy. When you see these two going at it with one another: it's awesome. And they talk very civil too. There's no talk like, "I'm the hero, and you're the villain." And there is absolutely nothing like, "Hi Freeze. I'm Batman." Thank God there is nothing like that in this movie anywhere. So even their dialogue is a battle. They illustrate the fact that Holmes can see everything, and that he is so smart.
So, what's the story? Our heroes are tracking down Moriarty, who is hiding in plain sight, to stop him from blowing up important people throughout Europe. That's the best I can describe it without too much spoilers. I understand that some people haven't seen Game of Shadows and I don't want to ruin it for them. But, without giving too much away, Moriarty is responsible for a series of bombings that occurred in England, and Holmes is trying to figure out why. Meanwhile, Watson is finally getting married, but Holmes manages to drag him back into one last adventure. From what I remember, they come across a gipsy woman whose brother plays a key role in Moriarty's plan. It's basically a wild goose chase throughout Europe. They go to England, they make their way through Germany, and even make it to Switzerland for a final showdown. The effects have improved vastly, and the story is much easier to follow. Not to mention the fact that they tell you what Holmes was planning, thinking, or doing. You have a great story, a great villain against a great hero played by a fantastic actor. I'm going to say that Sherlock Holmes 2 is a 3.9 out of 5, barely making it as a 'worth buying on DVD.' I should know because I bought it on DVD.
So have you seen Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows? What'd you think of it? Comment below, let me know. And you know the rest. Check out my other reviews to see more. Bye. HOLMES!


The author's comments:
HOLMES!!!