Pacific Rim | Teen Ink

Pacific Rim

July 19, 2013
By Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia
40 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD


I heard that this movie was suppose to be the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for adults. But, I'm still waiting to hear a negative, because that sounds awesome!
Pacific Rim. Or the love child of Transformers, Power Rangers, and Godzilla. Yes, the apocalyptic movies have been resurrected. And what better way to start than with Pacific Rim? Pacific Rim is about us in the year of 2017 (at least I think that was the date they established) and instead of other life coming from the stars, it came from the deepest depths of the Pacific Ocean. There is this massive inter-dimensional portal that releases these giant monsters called Kaijus who make Godzilla look like an ant. These things are freaking huge! They come out one at a time, because they're polite like that. And in order for humanity to stop these monsters, we had to make monsters of our own. Or at least giant mechs. That'll work. These mechs are like if the megazord from Power Rangers and the Iron Man suit had a love child. They are epic! The story revolves around this war between the Kaijus and the Jaegers, which are the giant mechs we control. And they establish this right at the start. They stick you right in the middle of the war and set up the situation very well. It never felt rushed at all. Our main character named Raleigh Becket, who lost his brother to a Kaijus and he has been in hiding for, years. Then the General Pentecost approaches him and convinces him to come back and fight for our planet. There's this chick he's partnered with named Mako, and she grew on me as the movie went on. The science that explains how they pilot the robots actually makes you believe it. They explain it and you're like, "Hmm. Okay, I can buy that." Now, we get to the part that fills most of the movie: the fights. These fights are epic and huge, and epic, and huge! I am not kidding. You know the action is bad-ass. It makes you really feel the scale of these things. And they are huge. That comes from a great director, who knows how to do action. It's nothing like the Transformers action where it's all up in your face and you can't see what's going on. Thank you Guillermo del Torro, for giving us this piece of awesomeness. This movie is framed to where the mechs are moving like those things from Shadow of the Colossus, only bigger. There is an over-the-top element in the movie but it comes from the doctors who are studying these things. Charley Day and Burn Gorman play these two doctors who act like they're on crack, and they seem somewhat cartoon-ish. If that's the only downside to this movie, it's more of a nitpick. I cannot find anything legitimately wrong with this movie. I had a blast with it. And throughout the movie, I was picking out elements from other movies I saw in this one and came to this conclusion: "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers + Transformers + Godzilla, with some Iron Man, and a dash of Total Recall = Pacific Rim." That's what it is. and it is awesome. This is the second movie I've seen this year that deserves the title of: Awesometastic!
Thank God. I'd almost given up hope. So have you seen Pacific Rim? What did you think of it? Comment below, let me know. And you know the rest. If you liked this review, check out my other reviews to see more. Bye-Bye!


The author's comments:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers + Godzilla + Transformers with a bit of Iron Man and a dash of Total Recall = This piece of awesomeness known as: Pacific Rim!