Les Miserables | Teen Ink

Les Miserables

By CSHCSH GOLD, Jakarta, Other
CSHCSH GOLD, Jakarta, Other

Everybody tries to change the world, but nobody tries to change themselves
-Leo Tolstoy

Another classic masterpiece by Victor Hugo, besides ‘The hunchback of NotreDame’, is no other than Les Miserables. And now fans from all over the world gets to meet this fantastic work on screen! Starring Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe and Amanda Seyfried, this movie has received its deserving spot light even before it was released. The fact that it is a movie-musical added to its popularity- we could not wait to listen to the songs.

And indeed when the movie came out, it received the applause that we had anticipated. Les Miserables was well compiled, and it balanced the right amount of acting and singing. Although I personally felt that the story went by too fast, some people may have considered this good as the movie did not ‘drag on’. The acting shown by the facial expressions and the gestures of the characters clearly conveyed their emotions and pain. It was fascinating to watch familiar faces transform into different characters in front of our very own eyes.

Les Miserables is the story of Jean Valjean, a prisoner who was sentenced for stealing a piece of bread. After escaping the jail thanks to a parole, Jean Valjean decides to change himself. In the end, he becomes a diligent, kind, respectful and honourable character, but is forced to admit his true identity after seeing an innocent man framed for his crime. With police officer Javert on his tail, Jean Valjean escapes and lives another life. On his way, he adopts Cosette, Fontaine’s (former employee) daughter. The story then involves Cosette and her love (Maurius) and portrays the events that revolve around the French revolution.

Les Miserables is a wonderful movie filled with heart stopping romance, drama, history and sorrow. Listening to the stories of the characters through melodious notes soothes one’s mind and emotions. You will for sure leave the cinema with tears in your eyes, regardless of how many ‘I will not cry’ mantras you murmur before the movie.