After Earth | Teen Ink

After Earth

By theherooftime42 SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia
theherooftime42 SILVER, Norfolk, Virginia

After this weekend's major disappointment, I think M. Night Shyamalan should just end his career.
After Earth is the latest flop directed by Shyamalan that (lucky for him) stars both Jaden Smith and Will Smith. When I saw the trailer for this movie when I went to see The Hobbit, I expected it to be nothing more than an action adventure, popcorn flick with father and son bonding. Unfortunately this movie fails so much that it doesn't even do that correctly.
Long Story short, After Earth is the worst film of the year so far, competing with other films such as The Host, Movie 43, and Scary Movie 5. To sum up what makes this movie would take me several hours to do, so I'll just sum up what could have made it better with one word, ACTION!!!! This film is extremely boring, with only 2 or 3 interesting scenes that only last about 2 minutes or less each. Unfortunately, those scenes are marred with bad cinematography and awful CGI that would only look good if it had aired on Syfy.
Not only does the movie suffer from boring scenes, but it also doesn't seem to understand how weather works. Apparently on this post-apocalyptic Earth, weather has changed to the point where it has a normal temperature by day and goes to like 50 below zero during the night with the exception of a few key areas that are conveniently placed at the 1/4 marks on Jaden Smiths journey. I could except this extremely stupid idea if it were A) Explained at all, or B) completely defying the laws of nature by snowing on an active volcano that is erupting at that moment in time.
I could go into great more detail on what makes this movie so awful, but it's best I stop here in fear of negative comments and emails from people who like the movie only because it stars Will Smith. For now just except this, DON'T GO SEE AFTER EARTH!!!!!!
1/5

Cyber-Skull PLATINUM, Norfolk, Virginia

"Why so serious?" -Heath Ledger as The Joker

"BOOST!" -Welsh Dragon Armor; High School DxD

Well, I saw After Earth and it is everything you said and more. It sucks.