Cloud Atlas

"There is a natural order to this world, and those who try to upend it do not fare well." These words help to explain the awesome, sheer spectacle that is Cloud Atlas, a film based on the novel of the same name by David Mitchell, which focuses on six completely different stories, yet they all share something not necessarily in common, but a thread that ties them together.

Ranging from a tale about a man in the mid-1800s, to a post-apocalyptic future where humanity is nearing extinction, Cloud Atlas is one of the greatest, grandest and boldest films ever imagined and created. Never before has there been a film of this magnitude, and the end result is an experience that cannot be described in words. The film utilizes the use of visual effects greatly, but for an indie film, you would think this is a summer blockbuster, but it is far from that. This is "Best Picture" material, and a whole slew of other awards, but because of the content and way this film is, there's no possible way for it to be placed in these mediocre awards columns.

The acting is superb, with every actor and actress on their A-game, especially Tom Hanks, but when you see the film, who can't even tell who's who because of the make-up. In this huge, all-star cast, the majority of the cast (nearly all of them) play roles in every separate story, giving the film a sense of surreal/real qualities. The visual effects are top-notch, and i'm not sure how it wasn't nominated for such (better than both Life of Pi and The Avengers). But what truly stands out is the musical score, and it's with this musical score that was the hardest, most difficult task was at hand: how were the composers supposed to write, compose and conduct the greatest symphony in the history of man? Well, they accomplished just that, as the Cloud Atlas Sextet is one of the greatest musical pieces I've ever heard, being a mix of Bach, Beethoven, Hans Zimmer, and John Williams.

Overall, there isn't truly must I can say about this film without ruining it. I have seen at least five hundred movies, ranging from westerns to science fiction, and brutal horror movies, but never before have I experienced what I did with Cloud Atlas. Honestly, while some say it isn't for everyone, it actually is. It has everything, except a Disney-family feel. Romance, sci-fi, comedy, drama, horror, thriller and war all share common ground here, but only when you see it will you realize its bold vision.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future."