Evil Dead(2013 review) | Teen Ink

Evil Dead(2013 review)

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

I am a huge fan of the original Evil Dead films(The Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness). So I was really skeptical going in to see this film. However, I can tell you, as a huge fan of the original trilogy, that I really enjoyed this film more than I thought I was going to.

Evil Dead is about when five people go into a cabin in the woods, they soon come upon the Necromonican Ex-Mortis, aka The Book of the Dead, where they unwittingly unleash flesh possessing demon, in which one by one are trying to survive.

Even though the story of the film is very cliché and overused, when watching this film, it feels like if it was new. The horror cliché works for the film. Also, I found that the reason why they wouldn't leave to be better than the original, as in this one, they sort of had a point in staying. I also really liked the homage to the original films.

One thing that I liked about this film was the production of it all. You can tell that the creators was trying their best to make a remake that will stand out, in which 99% of the effects of the film were practical, meaning that they made it with little to no CGI. That aspect alone helps the film, as it made the situation look more realistic for the audience. Also, you can also tell that the creators of this film did this movie with so much care and thought to please the original films. Not only were the situations in the film were well shot and executed, but they put it with care. Fede Alvarez, alongside with producers Sam Raimi(director of original films) and Bruce Campbell, do a great job in trying to please the fans.

Speaking of the situations, this film has a lot of brutality against the characters. There is blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. Blood. It is not like torture films, in which torturing is the whole point, but there is a lot of it. I am letting you know that if you are very squeamish, then you will have a hard time watching this film. And it feels more real because of all the practical effects. I have no idea how this got an R rating.

Let's talk about the characters. None of them come close to Bruce Campbell's "Groovy" performance of Ash William(star of the original films). In fact, the weakest link to the film was the characterization. Most of the characters are just there to die. You just don't care about most of them.

The ones that I really cared about was Eric, portrayed by Lou Taylor Pucci. Even though he is the reason why this whole thing started, I can't hide the fact that I was rooting for him the most in this film, as well as Mia, portrayed well by Jane Levy, who actually has the best characterization of all of them. These two characters were the ones who took the most beating in this film, and the ones who really stood out.

The only things that I didn't like, other than the characterization, was that it lacks the humor that the original Evil Dead films had. This film was humorless. It also wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but watching these people in these situations was fun to watch. This movie is creepy and fun to watch, not scary.

So Evil Dead is a satisfying remake to the franchise, even though it isn't as good as the original films. Fun, Creepy, and INSANELY gory to watch, Evil Dead is Blu-Ray Worthy.(Oh, and if you’re a fan of the original, stay after the credits.)