21 | Teen Ink

21 MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

I watched the entertaining movie “21” last weekend. It is rated PG-13 for violence, sexual content, and nudity.

It opens with Ben Campbell (Jim Sturgess) in his senior year at MIT with aspirations to go to Harvard Med. But there is only one problem: money. During class one day he impresses his math professor, Micky Rosa (Kevin Spacey). Rosa invites Ben to join a “club.” Little does he know this is a group of professional card-counters who go to Vegas every weekend and win thousands of dollars. Choi (Aaron Yoo), Jill (Kate Bosworth), and Kianna (Liza Lapira) are other members of this group.

Ben quickly picks up the skills and accompanies the group on their weekend gambling trips. Soon he is caught up in the money and fun of Vegas and ­almost ruins his chance at Harvard, thanks to Cole (Lawrence Fishburne), who works casino security and ­eliminates card-counters. Throughout the movie you are on the edge, not sure what will happen in the end.

Overall, I give “21” a B- ­because of its decent story but poor acting, especially by Sturgess. The best perform­ances by far came from Fishburne and Spacey. Their characters keep you watching – without them, “21” would have been horrible.

The story keeps you hooked with a great ending, but I will probably not see “21” again. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes crime-thrillers. But don't be surprised if it doesn't live up to your expectations.