Midnight in Paris This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Woody Allen is an ­astounding 23-time Academy Award–nominated ­director, screenwriter, and actor. In my opinion, his best work is “Midnight in Paris” (next to “Annie Hall”). A romantic-comedy-fantasy set in the magical City of Lights, Paris, the film has a star-studded cast that includes Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, Kathy Bates, Adrien Brody, Marion Cotillard, Alison Pill, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Sheen, and Carla Bruni.

Gil Pender (Owen Wilson) is a Hollywood screenwriter and aspiring novelist vacationing in Paris with his fiancée, Inez (Rachel McAdams). Unlike Inez, Gil is enchanted by the city – so much so that he proposes that they move there, rather than to Malibu, as Inez wants. He longs to fulfill his dream to be a novelist like his idols, Ernest Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald, but Inez dissuades him from this dream.

Drunk one night, Gil wanders the streets alone. Everything seems ordinary – until the clock strikes midnight. Paris suddenly comes alive with all the celebrities of Gil's favorite era, the 1920s, and he meets all his idols. Soon, Gil realizes that he is neither dreaming nor suffering the effects of alcohol; the 1920s are truly alive each night. When one night he meets Picasso's mistress, Adriana (Marion Cotillard), he is instantly drawn to her beauty and her interest in his novel, which Gertrude Stein (Kathy Bates) is critiquing for him. Gil falls helplessly in love with Adriana, who, like him, is nostalgic – but for the Belle Epoque era.

Every scene in this film is gorgeous, from the opening at the pond – which resembles (as Gil points out) a Monet painting – 'til the last. Each demonstrates beautiful cinematography. The dialogue is witty, especially Hemingway's nonsensical talk of courage and Salvador Dalí's whimsical conversation about rhinos. The music is wonderful too, especially Cole Porter's “Let's Do It (Let's Fall in Love),” which was stuck in my head for weeks. Additionally, the cast performed well. Alison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald and Adrien Brody as Dalí were, for me, scene-stealers.

I found “Midnight in Paris” clever, witty, and original, although the night-time coming to life did resemble “Night at the Museum.” However, “Midnight in Paris” is a far better film. It is absolutely one of my favorites set in Paris.

The film received four Academy Award nominations, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Art Direction, and Best Original Screenplay (which it won). You will fall in love with this film and the city of Paris. C'est un film magnifique à regarder.

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 30 at 12:01 pm
And this here just absolutely, utterly caught my eye in my email. I WAS LIKE YES YES YES. This is one movie every write/reader MUST watch. I loved it when I first watched. When I downloaded it first I thought it was one typical love story I was watching to lighten up the mood and then it turned out to be so much more. Also Paris is portrayed with such beauty that I am completely satisfied. I mean mostly it being called the City Of Love is okay, but really it is ALSO the city of art, literature, ... (more »)

SaphiraBrightscalesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 30 at 12:03 pm
Hey I just had an idea for a Haiku! THANKS SO much. You made me think of it. and now I'm going to write YAY  

ChrisJThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ah, the beautiful lights of Paris............. Love the review, very intelligent, well-written, and informative (even though I didn't understand the last sentence), but still, great job! I am currently working on a few film reviews of my own, any tips?

MckayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you. I feel honored by your comment. My advice just watch many many many films and movies (not all movies are films.) Pay attention to small things really. The dialogue mainly. The scenery sometimes is important to notice—mainly with movies that make a fuss of the scenery. The acting is primarily important. If the acting is filth, the movie will completely suck. I'm happy to hear that you will soon be critiquing movies. I want to do more; but lately I've been so budy just wri... (more »)

By the way, if you haven't watched this movie. GO WATCH IT! All writers must watch this movie.