Contagion | Teen Ink

Contagion

By alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho

"...All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

In 2011, a film was released about a virus that has medical researchers stumped, and begins to wipe out the human population, mimicking signs of the flu and the common cold, ending in death. Through what's known today as "Hyperlink Cinema", the story follows six different points of view as this virus spreads across the planet.

Steven Soderbergh, the director and cinematographer, perfectly captures and shows his audience the terror and frightening response time during a pandemic of global size, with an unknown contagion on the loose. The all-star cast was perfect, but not in a traditional sense. The script was designed in a way for you to not feel emotionally attached to the characters, but to the situation: what would you do if your family was dying and you were immune? What would you do if you were stuck in the country where the virus originated? These questions and others are all answered in the film, which in every sense, acts as a fictional documentary. The CDC has even stated that "Contagion" is legitimate, and is a very real and scary look at what will happen if a virus of that magnitude is created and spread.

Overall, Contagion is no ordinary film. Everyone should watch this film, as it is an important piece of cinema, but not one for entertainment. "Contagion" is, for all intents and purposes, a cautionary tale about humanity and our tampering with Mother Nature. Beware, this film is frightening and realistic; you will fear again.

You've been warned.

9/10 Stars

...A Fictional Documentary