Django Unchained | Teen Ink

Django Unchained

By FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California
FernandoAtTheMovies PLATINUM, San Diego, California

One of the greatest directors of our generation Quentin Tarantino returns and makes his first western with Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino's new flick does justice to the western franchise, and features some of his greatest trademarks.

Django Unchained is about when a bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz(Christolph Waltz) frees and trains Django(Jamie Foxx) to become a bounty hunter. Then, he helps him to get his wife(Kerry Washington) back from a ruthless plantation owner Calvin Candie(Leonardo DiCaprio)

Jamie Foxx was great at his role as Django. He was fantastic and served his part well, and he did a performance that no one could have played. However, he is not the scene stealer of this film. This movie didn't have one scene stealer, but three.

First off, Leonardo DiCaprio as Calvin Candie straight up owns this role. Leornardo's character is a total and utter(excuse the language) asshole in the movie. This is a performance was one that I NEVER would have thought that he would play. You could tell that he has fun with this role and he plays his role as the slave owning asshole. He is a great villian of the film.
However, is he the villian of the movie, of Samuel L. Jackson the villian of the movie? He, like Candie, is a total asshole in this movie. He is the head slave in this movie and bosses them around and pretty much is a kiss up to Dicaprio's character. He is such an A-hole that I didn't know who was more of the asshole, DiCaprios's character of Jackson's character.

The best scene stealer of the movie is easily Oscar Winning Actor Christolph Waltz performance as the bounter hunter Dr. King Schultz. He is my favorite character in the whole film and it is his best character in the film. Every scene he was in was always fun to watch and he literally steals every scene he is in. His character had the best dialogue in this film and this is easily Christolph Waltz best performance since another Quentin Tarantino's film, Inglorious Basterds(in which he won an Oscar). I would not be surprised if he wins another Academy Award for this film.

Another great thing about the movie is a Tarantino trademark is the violence, or as I like to call it, "Tarantino Violence." Tarantino Violence is the violence that is over the top and brutal and bloody, but is always fun to watch, especially in the big screen. Also, his violence is not all derogatory, some of his violence is very humorous. Aside from the violence, another Tarantino trademark that worked well is the music. The music always fits well to the scene.

The main reason why this film work is because this film is written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. Everything that I liked about Quentin Tarantino movies was in this film. The well written and GREATLY executed dialogue that people can quote the living crap out of is in this film. There is one scene that I am not going to ruin. I'll give you a hint: masks. In fact, I think that this is Quentin Tarantino's best written and directed film since Pulp Fiction. And Tarantino has had not made a bad movie at all. The worst movie that a Tarantino movie got was the second highest rating I could give, BLU RAY WORTHY.Again, would not be surprised if Tarantino won another Academy Award for his writing(he won for Pulp Fiction).

The only gripe is the development of Django's wife. Tarantino has written very great female characters(The Bride, Kill Bill) and her character is not that well develop. Some people(not me) may complain about the violence and how many times the N-word is said in the film. Which is another Tarantino trademark, and that is that he is such an unapologetic writer. He writes something, doesn't apologize for it, and keeps it in the film. That is very rare in the film industry.

So Django Unchained features great performances, and is well written and well directed by Quentin Tarantino. Django Unchained is one of the best films of 2012, and another masterpiece of Quentin Tarantino. Django Unchained is AWESOMETACULAR.