2016: Obama's America | Teen Ink

2016: Obama's America

By Aureli BRONZE, Tamuning, Other
Aureli BRONZE, Tamuning, Other

Who is Barack Obama? President of the United Sates? The first black president in the history of America? The president who sloganed "Change We Need"? Yes, yes, and yes. Has he fulfilled that goal? Making a change? I'm afraid not.. We learn a lot about President Obama in this movie(2016 Obama’s America), an eye opener, an epiphany if you would, to Obama's past and how that influences his decission making in our country. As the movie says,"Love him or hate him, you don’t know him." I'm afraid this is all true, we DON'T really know him. Proceeding to the story... we will get to know him..

Set, in the present day, Dinesh D’souza narrates Obama’s life and his dream in this documentary. He reveals a lot about Obama’s past and how that influences his choices as the executive leader of our beloved country. During the elections, citizens voted for Obama thinking that he would do what he said he would do(making a change) during his term as president. Majority of the citizens who voted for Barack were disappointed because he didn’t accomplish the things he pledged to do in his capaigned for office. During this journey he discovers how "hope and change" became radically misunderstood, and identifies new points for hot wars in mankind’s greatest struggle. The film examines the question, "If Obama wins a second term, where will we be in 2016?"

Being that this is a documentary the focal point of this whole production is Barack Obama. Dinesh D’souza, the director of this documentary is the interviewer, who interviews Barack's family and some doctors. George Obama, Barack's half brother was interviewed. As well as, Dr. Alice Dewey and Dr. Willy Kauai who gave their psychiatric evaluation of what Obama does and why he does it.

Acting wasn't a part of this movie, so I'm critiquing how they evaluated their information. George Obama was a very hard person to interview because how he answered was very straight forward, having no detail unless otherwise asked to elaborate. Dr. Alice and Dr. Willy were the opposite, detailing the answer to the questions D'souza gave. I thought that some of Dinesh D’souza questions weren't really necessary because it went to a different aspect of what ever was being discussed. I thought that D'souza did a fair job explaining his point of view of Obama and the economy. It would have been better if Obama himself was interviewed, but of course if he was to be interviewed, it would give a more pro Obama sense.

In this documentary I was fascinated by the amount of knowledge D'souza had of Barack Obama. This knowledge meaning of his past, his family, well basically his life. I was intrigued of how D'souza got the idea of taking information from the past and analyzing it in predicting how it will affect the future of America. Those parts were really interesting because it really got in depth with the background of his family. I found it amusing how it talked about the decissions Obama has made, because it gave us more of an understanding to why he made them. The most important information that I have absorbed from this movie is his views in colonialism. It made me understand why he was decreasing the production of nuclear war heads, and the claim the bust of Sir Winston Churchill to British diplomats was returned. Fact or fiction, it gives you an idea to where he's coming from.

This movie has taught me to be more cautious for who to vote for as the president. Interpreting information given to you and later not being the assumtion you have made. Obama had an advantage in the 2008 elections and according to one of the Doctors, it made you a racist if you didn't. Well that's how I understood and interpreted his claims. This movie is made really think about Obama and his decision making, which was rather questionable.

This movie is PG, a rating which might give off that this movie is childish, but it's truly a movie for the the older crowd. I have to admit the movie was a fair production. An appreciation for the cinematography put into this project should be given not expecting a fair production due to the fact it's a documentary. I suggest that the citizens should watch this film to understand more about the person running for office once again. A movie filled with loads of information, may cause the younger generation to snooze in the long run. All in all, a fair movie to watch with the family.