Les Miserables | Teen Ink

Les Miserables MAG

By Kyrae SILVER, Idyllwild, California
Kyrae SILVER, Idyllwild, California

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians

“Les Misérables” is now one of my favorite movies. I love the actors, the storyline, and the music.

I was a bit hesitant at first because I had seen the first attempt in 1998 to turn the ­famous Broadway musical into a film, and had been disappointed. I was also wary of the choice of actors and their singing ability, particularly Anne Hathaway. I was not sure she could play a broken peasant. I didn't feel that she could pull it off without looking cheesy or unbelievable. That may have been one of the worst assumptions I ever made; Hathaway is perfect as Fantine. She portrays the selfless and desperate mother to the point where I doubt many could do better. Her version of “I Dreamed a Dream” is flawless. The raw emotion she poured into it and the way she applied her voice to every second makes it heartbreakingly personal. Every breath and note is filled with the pain Fantine felt. She sang tears into my eyes.

One of my favorite scenes is Éponine's death. In it, Éponine (Samantha Barks) and Marius (Eddie Redmayne) sing the duet “A Little Fall of Rain” that was touching and brought tears to my eyes.

Another standout number is “Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.” Redmayne carries your heart achingly along with each note. “Castle on a Cloud,” (sung by the young Cosette, Isabelle Allen), is sweet and sad. The manipulative and thieving Thenardiers (Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter) bring welcome smiles to viewers' faces amidst the dramatic and heart-wrenching storyline. Amanda Seyfried's voice is angelic as grown-up Cosette, and Hugh Jackman gives an outstanding performance as Jean Valjean.

Unfortunately, I missed the excluded parts of Eponine's songs because she is such a key character and her songs are my favorites. Despite the small pieces I wish had been included, the stunning perfection of almost every other part of this movie casts away the minute imperfections, which resurface only after careful scrutiny of the movie.

“Les Misérables” deserves a place among my favorite movies, and it is definitely my favorite movie musical. I loved every minute of it.

Kyrae SILVER said...
Kyrae SILVER, Idyllwild, California

Thank you! Thanks also for the advice, I will do that next time.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I can't wait to watch this film. Great review. But next time, say SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't watched it yet.