The Heathers | Teen Ink

The Heathers

"People will look at the ashes of Westerberg High and say, 'Now there's a school that self destructed. Not because society didn't care, but because the school was society." Those are some of the last lines of 1980's teen cult movie "Heathers." In this Micheal Lehman (Big Love, Because I Said So) directed film, one prominent member of this society is not happy.
Veronica Sawyer, played by Winona Ryder (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice) is a new recruit of The Heathers, a group of cruel and beautiful girls who terrorize the school. The Heathers, Heather Chandler, Heather Duke, and Heather McNamara (played by Kim Walker, Shannen Doherty, and Lisianne Falk respectively) are waiting for a full commitment from Veronica. Except she's not so sure she wants to be a part of it. Once she meets the dangerous, new transfer student Jason Dean (Christian Slater), she's certain that they need to be stopped. As her relationship with J.D. unfolds so does a series of mysterious suicides.

The movie, that was nominated for a Grand Jury Prize award at Sundance, is so gloriously kitsch, you can't help but become wrapped in the drama of Westerberg High. The events that happen in this film remind me of other teen queen movies, "Jawbreaker" (1999) and "Mean Girls" (2004). The same set of girls who flocked to those movies, have most likely seen, and worshipped "Heathers".

In typical 80's film fashion, every word is over emphasized, and every action, is over dramatic. The script, written by Daniel Waters, may be the cause of it. They may have felt the need to make up for a script that had them saying with a straight face, "Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast?" and "Grow up, Heather. Bulima is so '87."

Even though it has it's kinks, "Heathers" will always be iconic. It takes everything wrong with high school and magnifies it, creating a twisting, angst ridden classic doused in Drano. To anyone who doesn't appreciate the tackiness of it all, leaves me wondering, "What's your damage?"

DoloresDarling, Cambridge, Ohio

Sarah Michelle Gellar- [on the importance of reading] I love books. I\'m constantly afraid we\'re moving into this digital era where books are going to go away, and to me books are the basis to everything in life. Reading is how we function.

<3 I love how you added the quotes.. I love all the lines from the movie!

The movies amazing, I love dark comedeys!