Dan in Real Life | Teen Ink

Dan in Real Life

Dan in Real Life Review

Upon entering the movie theatre, I had no specific preference to see this movie. As the only movie playing that I have at least heard of once before, I bought the ticket and took my seat. Now I am very happy I did. In the movie, Dan, a single father of three daughters, is an advice columnist and uses his advice to help himself. Dan (Steve Carell) was the predictable comical character that made the movie what it was. Carell was one of the reasons I saw this movie, being I knew about and have seen his astounding talent to fit the part of the various characters he played, such as his more comical roles in The Office and The 40-Year-Old Virgin, his more depressing role as a suicidal uncle in Little Miss Sunshine, and now his somewhat depressing yet humorous role in Dan in Real Life. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Dane Cook (Mitch Burns) in the movie, being that I am not a very big fan and found it refreshing to see him in a different role than the usual ignorant and dimwitted character he plays. The three daughters (Alison Pill, Brittany Robertson and Marlene Lawston) also portrayed their parts well; especially Cara Burns (Brittany Robertson) who I thought made the movie hilarious and appropriately quirky. Although I felt there was a better actress to play the part of both Dan and Mitch’s girlfriend Marie (Juliette Binoche), she was still a believable character. All in all, this was an adorable movie that I recommend to everybody.