The Crucible | Teen Ink

The Crucible

October 19, 2007
By Anonymous

The two time nominee “The Crucible” is a movie based upon the 1692 Salem Witch Trials in Salem, Massachusetts. “John Proctor” played by Daniel Day gets stuck the middle of a love triangle with “Abigail Williams” played by Winona Ryder and “Elizabeth Proctor” played by Joan Allen. At first John is not a main character in the movie, but soon becomes caught up in the village gossip when his wife Elizabeth gets accused of witch craft. Abigail is one of the handful of girls that becomes “inflicted.”

When the “inflicted girls” get caught dancing around a fire in the forest and doing “witch craft” The next morning one of the girls won’t wakeup and the girls are forced to say the names of those who inflicted them. While they name off random women they call out Rebecca Nurse played by Elizabeth Lawrence one of the town elders, and Goody Osborne played by Ruth Maleczech. This movie has many twists and turns as they name off dozens more women, and even a couple men .The accused women and men are thrown into jail and held until a big trial where some are accused guilty up and dead, after a short drop and a sudden drop.

I thought this movie was very well put together. The only thing I thought maybe could have been changed where the historical facts where only a little bit off. Other than that it made a great mental picture instead of just learning about it. I think my favorite part of the movie was when John and Elizabeth talk by the sea to try to figure out what to do now that they are accused of witch craft.

All in all I think this movie is a must see if you know about the Salem Witch Trials. Even if you don’t know what that is you can still see the movie because it will teach you about the trials. The only thing I would recommend is that if you become woozy when seeing people die, then this movie is not for you. Other then that I give it a 4 out of 5.