Across the Universe | Teen Ink

Across the Universe

October 3, 2007
By Anonymous

Across the Universe



The movie Across the Universe is a story about a boy named Jude from Liverpool, England. He comes to America to find his father and to take a break from his coal mining life. When he gets to America he goes to Princeton to meet his father, and he also meets Max, a free spirited boy with an uptight family. Max takes Jude to his house, where Jude meets Max’s sister Lucy, whose boyfriend is off fighting in the Vietnam War.
After the visit home, Max drops out of college, and he and Jude move to New York City. When they move to New York, they move in with Sadie, a hippie who is the singer in a band. After living there for a while, Jo-Jo, a guitarist from Detroit who is in Sadie’s band, and Prudence, a girl from Ohio, move into the apartment. Lucy’s boyfriend dies in the war, so she decides to come and live with her brother and Jude before she goes to college.
At first, everything is going smoothly, but then everyone changes. Max gets shipped off to war, Prudence leaves, Sadie splits up the band, Lucy starts to get more involved with peace marches and rallies, and Jude gets mad at Lucy for spending more time rallying than with him.
The movie is written and directed by Julie Taymor. The cast includes Evan Rachel Wood, Jim Sturgess, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs, Martin Luther McCoy, T.V. Carpio, Bono, and Salma Hayek. The cast doesn’t have many big name stars, but the actors will probably be in much more movies after this. The movie is rated PG-13 for drug content, nudity, sexuality, violence and language.

This movie is amazing! There isn’t that much talking, mostly singing, but it only made the movie better. Some scenes were a little odd, but they went with the music. The casting couldn’t have been better. All the actors had great voices, and played their parts very well. The songs were sung live, not recorded, so there was more feeling in the songs. The special effects were very unique and didn’t look too computer animated. The choreography fit the scenes perfectly, and wasn’t random, like in most movies with dancing. In the trailers for the movie, the movie seems like it is just a bunch of Beatles songs put together, but there is a wonderful story line and the music just helps it. I don’t think it could have been better. If you are a Beatles fan, I suggest that you go and see it.