Remember Me | Teen Ink

Remember Me

March 16, 2010
By PoeticInsomniac BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
PoeticInsomniac BRONZE, Lakewood, Colorado
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With a chaotic plot line, Remember Me was a bit hard to follow. If you asked someone who had walked out of the theater what the movie was about, they wouldn't be able to give you a simple answer.
Remember Me was a dramatic film following the life of Tyler Hawkins (Robert Pattison), a twenty one year old college student who isn't sure what he wants to do with his life. Six years after his older brother's suicide, his life and his relationship with his father Charles (Pierce Brosnan) are quickly falling apart. Tyler is out at a bar with his roommate one night when he gets involved in a bar fight. Sgt. Neil Craig (Chris Cooper) breaks up the fight but Tyler ends up on his bad side. In order to get back at Sgt. Craig, Tyler's roommate Aiden (Tate Ellington) suggests that he go out with Sgt. Craig's daughter Ally (Emilie De Ravin.) The film showcases Tyler and Ally's relationship and the struggles that their pasts put them through.
The movie had it's comedic moments and it's cry-your-eyes out moments, both essential traits of a good romantic drama. The acting was remarkable, giving the film more than just the plot to brag about. Pattinson broke out of his Twilight mold and proved that he is more than just a sparkly vampire. De Ravin played the part of Ally flawlessly, making her character's feelings real but giving a slightly crazed tint to them. Brosnan brought his suave persona to the film and was the perfect antagonist turned ally. From the tortured college student to the cop's daughter who lives life to the fullest, the characters were very believable. You can really empathize with Tyler and Ally, which is one of the key ingredients to making a movie.
Remember Me had it's weak points, with the cut off ending that left the story unsolved and the fact that the story didn't really have a point to it. It was a humorous, heart wrenching film that left some of the viewers leaving the theater crying, but there really wasn't an actual point. Although, you tend to forget that when you're actually watching the movie. And who knows; maybe the cut off ending opened it up for a sequel.
Overall, Remember Me was a beautifully portrayed story with no point, that I would highly recommend.

Grade: B+

The author's comments:
I wrote this for my school newspaper.