Into the Wild | Teen Ink

Into the Wild MAG

This year my aunt took me to my first independent film, “Into The Wild.” She didn’t try to explain the plot; rather she took me to the theater and just said, “Watch.” In the beginning, it seemed like any ordinary movie. Then, with each minute, I felt a deepening passion for the story. By the end, it is safe to call it one of the best films I’ve ever seen.

Trying to tell people about it the next day was, to my surprise, very difficult. Every friend, student, or teammate I spoke with had never heard of this movie. I tried to explain the film but somehow couldn’t. All I could tell them was the director is the famous Sean Penn, and it is based on a true story.

It was really disappointing that I couldn’t spark a conversation about the film; I have yet to meet a 16-year-old who has seen it. When telling my aunt about this disappointment, she replied, “That’s the fate of most independent films.” It’s really more about the film, the art, the story.

In the movie, a young man travels the country with complete peace and freedom, and then goes into the wild. I know that may sound boring to some, but after I saw the film and understood the story, it really created a nice feeling for me.

Not only was the movie great, but the music was amazing too. Eddie Vedder sang the entire soundtrack; the acoustic mood really made the movie even better. It’s rare for our generation to listen to music like this, but it was a great selection.

I would highly recommend reading the book or seeing the film. It was nominated for Best Picture for the Critics Choice Awards. I also want to recommend that my generation try something new, see something outside of our normal viewing experience. This really was an extraordinary film.

This movie is rated R.

on Feb. 22 2009 at 12:00 am
it ia a great movie but very intence

teensytoes said...
i disagree with you kelly black09.

no matter what, he would have died anyway because that was his fate. you can't change that. i know, it sucks, bbut it's true.

teensytoes said...
it feels so nice to be alone in nature. it's so peaceful. i don't blame him for wanting to get away from corporate amarica.

on Dec. 17 2008 at 3:09 am
I loved this movie. I fell deeply in love with the character. How he could face the world with such open mindness. But I did feel he behaved very selfishly without involving his family in his plans, he might still have his life if he hadn't of done so. The ending tore my heart apart. But it proved that no one is an outsider, that every one needs someone in thier life. I love this movie and would call it top ten on best movies ever made. I recommend this movie to anyone no matter what age.

i love that movie!!!! i whatch it last year with my mom. but luckly for me, my best freind had whacht it before me. i cryed at the end though... i like eddie veder as well... i listen to him sometimes.

Psprius said...
on Oct. 22 2008 at 1:22 am
I faced the same problem after seeing this movie: I just could not find anyone who had seen it and who I could talk to about it with. It is the kind of movie that insists on discussion afterwards because of the deep emotions and feelings the movie displays. It really was an incredible movie, Emilie Hirsch was unbelievable, and the story was intense. At first I was annoyed at his need to get away from "corporate America" and feel nature, but then I realized that he must have felt so free and self-actualized once he was on his own in Alaska. Yeah, it was an incredible movie and I hope everyone will watch it because it is so inspiring and eye-opening.