Happy Death Day 2U | Teen Ink

Happy Death Day 2U

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Happy Death Day 2U is the sequel to the original Happy Death Day movie and continues the adventures of Tree Gelbman. After some crazy events that involve the friend, Ryan Phan, of Tree Gelbman's boyfriend, Carter Davis, being stuck in the same time loop that bothered Tree in the first venture, more time craziness ensues. Discovering that the true source of the time problems is a result of Ryan's lab project that involves using quantum mechanics to build a machine that wants to freeze time, Tree, Carter and Ryan all discover that the only way to stop the time mayhem is for Ryan to fix his machine once and for al. However, when Ryan tries to accomplish such, things don't turn out as expected. Tree Gelbman, in horror, wakes up to learn that she's stuck on her birthday that occurred the day prior once again. After everything she went through in the first movie to escape the day, Tree finds herself right back into that same mess. Although it seems that this is the same situation as before, Tree soon makes the strange discovery that she is actually in a parallel universe where the world has a few key differences. For one, her boyfriend, Carter, is now with someone else, and she also finds out that her mother is still alive. Other friends and students seem to vary incredibly differently as well, which means that Tree is going to have an even more difficult time figuring out how to get out of an even bigger mess. Tree is still the target of the same masked killer, but the person behind the mask is different this time. As the killer begins to target everyone that she cares about, including her friend circle, Tree begins to realize that she has no choice but to die every day to save her friends. 
 Happy Death Day 2U proves to be a lackluster adventure that painfully falls short of expectations. As a movie that attempted to reach lofty expectations, the film didn't even come close. The plot is painstakingly confusing, unnecessarily excessive and lacks the essential slasher qualities that made the movie so entertaining originally. Instead, the storyline is an incomprehensible mess that is outrageously predictable, boring and thoroughly uninteresting from start to finish. The characters lack having any details that make them substantial, and as a whole, the movie isn't able to produce significant concepts and ideas. Audiences won't be scared in the slightest and might even find the horror scenes to be slightly ineffective. There might be more of the same elements as the original in this roller coaster, but that doesn't mean they're successful.

Happy Death Day 2U oddly treats the concept of suicide with a sarcastic tone that really doesn't shed light on how horrible it truly is. Furthermore, the movie has too much of the same in this film. There are many scenes in this movie that parallel one another, basically just repeating the same things, and this results in a movie that feels way too long and completely stretched out. The movie overly relies on some absurd time anomalies, and the film doesn't execute really anything that memorable. 

Happy Death Day 2U ultimately has a cast that fails to produce impactful characters, a plot that is more confusing than not, and for all of this, this sequel ends up falling short. While Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a fairly high 69%, and a seemingly impressive 90% of Google users liked the movie, both of these scores feel way too generous for a movie that fails to generate anything substantial. Without a doubt, this is definitely not worth watching. 

"Failure is not an option." - Tree Gelbman