Grown Ups | Teen Ink

Grown Ups

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Grown Ups proves to be a surprisingly charming comedy that will be sure to please audiences with its naturally funny actors and splendid concepts. The movie revolves around an old group of friends that may have been close back in the day, but now their lives seem to be going separate ways. There's a single man that seems to spend too much time drinking, a parent that has three children but rarely sees any of them, an overweight and unemployed father of two, a husband without a job that spends his time taking care of his wife and children, and a successful Hollywood agent that has finally found the time to take a break from work and also happens to be married to a talented fashion designer. Seeing as these guys seem to have so little in common now, it certainly seems strange that they were once best friends, but that was definitely the case. It all started when they played for the same basketball team as kids and won the championship together, working off each other's strengths and bringing home a trophy for themselves and their school. However, they are all reunited because their old basketball coach has unfortunately passed away, and they all see each other for the first time in years at the funeral, letting them realize how much things have changed. Attempting to reconnect with each other and capture all of the time lost, the group finds themselves and their families going on one group vacation together and learning why they all became friends in the first place. 
 Grown Ups proves to be a thrilling roller coaster ride that is packed to the brim with laughter and plenty of jokes to make even the most serious of viewers smile. While the movie may not be that sophisticated in the realm of humor, and possibly relies slightly too heavily on the concept of how the main characters are still immature at heart, it still has enough silly gags to provide a satisfactory level of entertainment. The beginning of the movie does a great job of jump-starting the adventure and immediately introducing audiences to the movie's star characters, including their past history with one another to intertwine their lives successfully. While the middle of the movie doesn't accomplish anything extraordinary, and isn't the most cohesive, it still manages to have plenty of laugh-out-loud fun and it successfully progresses the story along. The enticing ending manages to bring the whole story together and finally shows just how grown up the main characters can be when needed, and even though they're all grown-up, they will always be kids at heart. 
 Grown Ups has a star-studded cast that shines throughout and oozes with raw talent. Adam Sandler is spectacular as Lenny Feder, and he brings his natural charm to the character to make him likable and easy to root for. The late Cameron Boyce is excellent as Keithie Feder and manages to make the character relatable. Additionally, Sandler and Boyce aren't the only stars of the movie. The cast is loaded with plenty of other top-tier names, including Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock, Maya Rudolph, Nick Swardson, Colin Quinn, Steve Buscemi, and Rob Schneider, and they all ensure that the jokes in the movie are brought to life.
 Grown Ups has a talented cast, a surprisingly emotional story, and an unsurprising amount of fun. While the movie may not be intelligent enough for some, the movie still boasts a talented ensemble. For that, the movie already becomes a must-see.

"Life can be difficult sometimes, it gets bumpy. What with family and kids and things not going exactly like you planed. But that's what makes it interesting. In life the first act is always exciting. The second act... that is where the depth comes in." - Gloria