The Fast and the Furious | Teen Ink

The Fast and the Furious

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

The Fast and the Furious is the first movie in the legendary Fast and Furious franchise and first introduces stalwart characters, like Brian O'Connor and Dominic Toretto. Dominic Toretto is a racer at heart, and not only does he love street racing for more than just the natural adrenaline rush, but he also enjoys the respect that his fans and friends give him for it. Widely respected by everyone that have seen him drive, he's treated like a celebrity and is considered to be the alpha of his crew and everyone else that races, due to his natural pride, size and honor. Although Dominic, or Dom, has a dangerous encounter with the blazing Johnny Tran, an equally fierce foe that is ruthless from top to bottom, he decides that he could use a knowledgeable newcomer, so he takes Brian O'Connor under his wing, thinking that he shows plenty of potential to be the next member of his group. Even though Brian is mostly new to street racing, and still has a lot to learn, Dom has seen enough of what he likes to believe Brian could help him out. Additionally, Dom isn't the only one. Dominic's sister, Mia Toretto, also sees something in Brian, and she seems to like that something in Brian. However, neither Mia nor Dom realize that Brian O'Connor is actually an undercover cop attempting to infiltrate Dom's group for a case that has Dominic Toretto and Johnny Tran as the top two suspects. Brian O'Connor knows that someone is behind gaining dirty money, and hijacking large trucks to gain profits, but in order to find out who, Brian has to either betray Dom, who has taken him into this exciting world of racing, or be forced to deal with Johnny Tran, which could cost him his life. Either way Brian knows he's in trouble and is going to need all the help he can get. 
 The Fast and The Furious proves to be an exhilarating adventure that will be sure to please with its charismatic characters, bold ideas, awesome visuals and ridiculously daunting racing. Truly getting into the heads of the racers, the movie knows how to flesh out the people on-screen and bring them to life, as well as the intense situations they're in. Bringing out the best in all of its characters, their personalities become so substantial that viewers can't help but feel for them. The majority of the time it's almost always comes naturally to root for the main characters, due to their whelping amount of charm, and because of this, watchers end up feeling an entire spectrum's worth of emotions for them. 

The Fast and the Furious has a talented cast that transforms into their roles with ease, which also helps to kickoff the franchise positively. Paul Walker's Brian O'Connor is simply marvelous, and not only does he bring emotion and intensity to the role, but he also becomes an instant fan-favorite with his high likability. Vin Diesel's portrayal of Dominic Toretto is simply spot-on, and he manages to transform into the character both with his physical attributes and his ability to become the alpha that everyone knows and loves. Michelle Rodriguez gives an enjoyable performance as Letty, and her role is certainly tense and she brings out the strength in one of the toughest characters in the whole movie. While there are plenty of other notable roles, like Jordana Brewster's Mia Toretto, the real heart of the movie is the on-screen chemistry and relationship between Disel's Dom and Walker's Brian. 

The Fast and the Furious introduces plenty of important concepts to the Fast and Furious franchise, most importantly the relationship between Dominic Toretto and Brian O'Connor. While also being epic to be   hold and just visually stunning, the movie brings out the best in the world of racing. It becomes nearly impossible to not wish to be a street racer after this, and while the movie isn't nearly as complex as the other Fast and Furious movies that will follow, it is quite intriguing to see where it all began. Without a doubt, this movie is certainly worthwhile, due to its captivating story. It's fast and furious.

"It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning." - Dominic Toretto