Spider-Man 3 | Teen Ink

Spider-Man 3

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Spider-Man 3 is the third and final movie in Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy and manages to conclude the entire franchise. Although everything is going smoothly at first for Peter Parker, especially concerning his incredibly complicated relationship with Mary Jane that now seems to be on the right track, things quickly turn sour when Peter's Spider-Man suit turns black. Even though a color change wouldn't be something that people would expect to create actual change, it does. Peter Parker soon gains enhanced powers as Spider-Man, but the suit quickly takes over him and brings out the dark side of Peter's personality. Because of this, Peter Parker is forced to fight the suit's influence, which is much harder than it seems, due to how Peter is already torn living two different lives, and as he does this, two super villains, Venom and Sandman, rise from the shadows to try to destroy Spider-Man and all that he holds dear. Peter Parker must once again struggle between being Spider-Man, stopping his suit from taking over, battling two new villains that seem to have a personal connection to him, and at the same time, he must balance all of this with his social life and his romantic life with Mary Jane, making it seem like that whatever Peter does, it won't be enough. 
 Spider-Man 3 proves to be an adventurous superhero movie that may not be as impressive as the first two movies in the series, but it still manages to tie up all loose knots in a conclusive manner. The beginning of the movie seamlessly transitions from the second movie in the series and manages to reintroduce audiences to Peter Parker, as well as all of his struggles and what his life is like, which helps to set things up later, especially when it comes to conjuring up drama. The middle of the movie does in fact present new and challenging obstacles for Peter as Spider-Man, but it never really creates that much suspense or intensity. While drama is certainly apparent, it never becomes as significant as it has in the past two movies, which stops this adventure from becoming substantially more interesting. The enticing ending of the movie does manage to wrap up not only the entire movie, by tying back together with the start, but it also manages to bring the entire thrilling trilogy together, which is certainly a plus. However, the end of the movie does have its flaws, and at times it feels slightly forced. Some of the final battles aren't as impressive or breathtaking as they could have been, which is a shame, because the movie certainly had the potential to take advantage of all of the drama that has been conjured, but it ultimately falls up slightly short. 
 Spider-Man 3 might not be as much of a triumphant hit as the original two, but it still manages to get to the root of what makes Peter Parker the one and only Spider-Man. Peter Parker is once again challenged to his very limit, and just like with the first two movies, he is shown as a relatable, likable character that is just as flawed as the people watching him. This causes audiences to believe that anyone could be Spider-Man, because at heart, Peter Parker is just an ordinary guy with typical problems. 
 Spider-Man 3 may not be as well done as the others in the series, but it still boasts a talented cast that shines. Tobey Maguire shines once again as Spider-Man and brings emotion and passion to the role, which allows the character to become a fan-favorite. There are some other notable roles, like Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson and James Franco's Harry Osborn, but Maguire's Spider-Man is the main character and steals the spotlight more often than not. 

Spider-Man 3 proves to be a satisfactory sequel that will please audiences that crave action. The movie may not entirely be a triumphant hit, but it does have its strengths, primarily the fact that it concludes the franchise in a thorough fashion. This adventure manages to conclude the greatest Spider-Man franchise to date, which causes audiences' perceptions of the web-slinging hero to be transcended. This movie may have its flaws, but for those who are are fans of the first two, this is still a must-see.

"Whatever comes our way, whatever battle we have raging inside us, we always have a choice. My friend Harry taught me that. He chose to be the best of himself. It's the choices that make us who we are, and we can always choose to do what's right." - Peter Parker/Spider-Man